RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

How long does it take...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jackyl71

jackyl71

How long does it take... Empty
PostSubject: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:09 pm

So... Exactly how long does it take to to get over that first crack up?

I got my CP v2 out this evening and was afraid to take it to little more than a small hover, not even 1 foot or so off the ground. Now I am still a wee noob in CP helis, but after dropping $50 in repairs the last time I had her up, I am a bit gun shy about trying it again.

I have substantially more time in the simulator now, and am a bit more confident, but man my RL heli seems a lot more touchy than the ones in the sim. And the consequences of an 'oops' is a lot more costly, as I found out a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Well for me it only takes as long as I have to wait for parts.

You have to just accept the fact that you are going to eat it
and it will cost you.

I would tone down your heli if it is too touchy......
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: !st   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:27 pm

Well not as long as it takes for the 2nd!!!! You must just go for it!!! Trust me on this... I was progressing very nicely and had a major "E" crash and then after rebuild could not seem to let myself fly it!!! After our FUNFLY and not having any ball at all I just decided I knew how to fly I just wasen't letting myself do it... Then One day I said F.... it and took it up and flew!!!! And now can fly pretty well for only having a heli since Feb.09
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 pm

...........................I second FD..................................
Back to top Go down
jackyl71

jackyl71

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 10:22 am

Sounds good, guys... I guess I'll just need to 'throw caution to the wind' (not litterally - I saw that gnarly vid Nuttcaze posted of the dude and what was left of his leg and all).

I'll have to take my heli over to the local park tonight and give it a go.

But to that, another noob question... Most of my practice hovering has been done over hard surfaces (black top, concrete). Is it better to take off and practice over grass (more 'forgiving')?
I keep wanting to tell myself that grass has more of a 'grab factor' where hard surfaces allow for some sliding on the skids, but that grassy surfaces may not tear up my rotor head as bad if I touch vs. concrete.

Anyhow, what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Grass vs asphalt   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 am

Well my thoughts on that are this.... I agree with you that grass really does have a "grab" factor just like you said..But not just with the skids but also with the blades!! If you tip, and touch a blade on asphalt it will just skip, where as on grass it will dig in and, I think cause much more damage.. Other than "road rash" not much else will be damaged.. However, grass is softer!! And if your using training gear the grass really will not allow you to slide around... So maybe,,, takeoff from a hard surface and shoot for landing on grass!! So I believe.... Grass will do more damage if you have a rotor touch, but it will be more forgiving if you "crash"
Just my thoughts on the matter!!! Anyone else care to give some other thoughts!!!!????
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Boy I dont know...I have never crashed on pavement and only crashed twice on grass.
I would say in my instince the pavement would have been worse but not by much.

The thought of grass is that it is cleaner to fly over. Pavement is dirty and while hovering,over pavement will kick up a lot of dirt into the gears and workings of the heli.

I cant find large pavement areas to fly so for me its grass. I do take off and land
from pavement or a large cork board I place on the grass.
Back to top Go down
jackyl71

jackyl71

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

@FD...
That was my line of thinking about grass, both with the skids and the blades. Good confirmation - thanks.

@Suriano...
Yeah, I am practicing in a smallish area, either a caged tennis court (pesky net) or a basketball court at the local park. It makes it really easy to 'scoot' my heli around doing some of the practice motions. I'll have to get over it and get up in the air a few feet and work it a little more. I like the idea about using a hard surface for take-off.

And I never really thought about the crap that gets kicked up from the ground and into the mechanisms. headbeat I'll be more cognizant of that from now on, too.

Suriano, you also said,
Quote :
"I would tone down your heli if it is too touchy......"
Would this be done by moving the attachment points of the control rods to the inner holes of the servo arms? (servo movements not as pronounced?)

Nevermind... When I got home, I see that the cyclic servos don't have different attach points like the tail servo.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How long does it take...   How long does it take... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How long does it take...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Helicopters :: General RC Questions-
Jump to: