RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

used HBFP won't takeoff

Go down 
+2
blackrain0119
mrhot007
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mrhot007

mrhot007

used HBFP won't takeoff Empty
PostSubject: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 12:50 am

Hi everyone,
Here's some context:
I bought the HBFP (probably v.1???) in a garage sale for ~40$. Ripoff? Anyway, while balancing everything and trying it out I had to change one servo (EK2-0508 to replace EK2-0500) and the center hub set (EK1-0203), for something like 20$ total. That brings it to ~60$ (now does it sound more like a ripoff???). Anyway, that isn't the main question, although I'd like to get your opinions.

The thing is, the chopper is used (and abused?) and after having fixed everything and guessed the "reversers" positions by trial and error, the thing refuses to lift off.

On startup, I have 2-3 red blinks, then 3-4 green blinks and then solid green.
Blades do spin in the right direction.
All servo control move correctly.
Blades spin quite fast and allows me to see the rotor tilting when I play with controls, but it seems the blades just don't rotate fast enough!

According to different sources (especially esky web site) the issue would be either with a dying battery or a dying main rotor motor. The battery seems fine, can pack up to 10V and seem to last "long enough" at least on the ground. The motor seems tarnished a bit and the red wire is discolored so that it is now pink.

Chances are the motor is "faulty", but after being through the eBay buying scheme for more than a month to get all my parts, I'd rather make a good guess and spend on the faulty part both to save money and time!!!

Also, I've seen that now, li-po batteries seems to be the norm. But originally my battery is 8.4V while the li-po are 7.4. Will that work anyway???

Also, is there alternatives to the standard main rotor motor, an alternative that would last longer? I've read somewhere in the forum that brushless motors aren't available (yet?) for the HBFP. Is there something else?!

So in summary:
-is it a ripoff to buy a used HBFP for ~60$
-is it my battery or my main rotor motor that is faulty (or something else!?)
-is the 7.4V Li-Po battery a suitable replacement to my 8.4V Ni-Mh current battery?
-is there better alternatives than the standard main rotor motor?

(note my throttle is on the right, I think this is not standard. Anyway to "reverse" that to be standard?)

used HBFP won't takeoff HBFP1
used HBFP won't takeoff HBFP2
used HBFP won't takeoff HBFP3
used HBFP won't takeoff HBFP4

Thanks to all!
Back to top Go down
blackrain0119

blackrain0119

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:10 am

my guess would be the main motor. and it could be the blades not balancing or not tracking right. If you spent 60 bucks, you should've just gone to xheli. com and bought the honeybee fixed pitch for 69 bucks and it comes with a simulator too. good luck.
Back to top Go down
Pittnuma

Pittnuma

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:35 am

Throttle on right is mode 1. Just choice not a standard either way. Only way to change the throttle to left stick mode 2 realistically is to get another tx or possibly take it apart, not really worth it I'd have thought.
Back to top Go down
blackrain0119

blackrain0119

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:41 am

Why do you have to take it apart? The simplest way to do that is just switch the crystal, and put it in mode 1 tx.
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Make sure that your hb is set up properly (watch nuttcaze vids) And if your heli is set up properly then it might be motor problem. At this moment there isn't any very good alternatives to stock motor orange44 You can just learn to fly it with mode1 (throttle on right) or if you want you can transfer it to mode 2. And yes you can use 7.4V lipo batteries!
Back to top Go down
Pittnuma

Pittnuma

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:55 pm

blackrain0119 wrote:
Why do you have to take it apart? The simplest way to do that is just switch the crystal, and put it in mode 1 tx.

Would the spring for centering and friction not be on the wrong stick?
Back to top Go down
mrhot007

mrhot007

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:26 pm

Ok, Thanks guys! So I'll change the motor and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for comments on "mode1/mode2". Since there doesn't seem to be a "standard" then I'll continue using it that way. I was just afraid I would have to re-learn my "touch" if I ever bought a new "standard" controller.

-one day, maybe it'll fly-

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
blackrain0119

blackrain0119

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 3:32 am

hows your hbfp. Can you fly it now?
Back to top Go down
flagmax

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2009 10:53 am

mrhot007 wrote:
Ok, Thanks guys! So I'll change the motor and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for comments on "mode1/mode2". Since there doesn't seem to be a "standard" then I'll continue using it that way. I was just afraid I would have to re-learn my "touch" if I ever bought a new "standard" controller.

-one day, maybe it'll fly-

Thanks again!

Actually the standard in USA is Mode 2 and you will need to re learn it again.

I suggest you get a new bare bone here https://myrcguidesforum.forumotion.net/4ch-fp-and-co-axial-helicopters-f7/hpfp-bare-bone-for-under-25-t1053.htm because if your main motor went then the tail motor will too and soon.
Back to top Go down
Scarface26

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 1:54 pm

What is the altitude where you live? I went the same route as you, and bought a used HBFP from Fleabay. (I won't do that again) After fixing all the problems that came with it, I found that the stock motor and 7.4V system was too weak for the thin air of Colorado Springs. (6,600 ft). I did RTFHeli's 11.1v conversion, and fuse conversion and it solved my problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: used HBFP won't takeoff   used HBFP won't takeoff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

used HBFP won't takeoff
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Helicopters :: 4ch FP and Co-Axial Helicopters-
Jump to: