RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Please explain motors to me

Go down 
+2
P3tras
lonstar70
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lonstar70

lonstar70

Please explain motors to me Empty
PostSubject: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 1:33 pm

From what I have gathered, it is a given thing that the motors on RC helicopters will wear out, and sooner than later. I have two helicopters right now....the Syma s-001 (a 3 channel coax), and a little 3 channel Syma s-018 Airwolf. And I just ordered the Esky HBFP V2.

So my question is, do the motors really wear out that fast? Why? Is there anything I can do to keep the motor life longer? Tail rotor motors wear out faster?

Seems to me this means two things. One, I might as well stock up on motors for my fav helicopters. Two, I have to learn how to take apart helicopters to replace the motors, which stinks.

Am I missing anything?

Lon
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:07 pm

Yes, brushed motors wear out after some time. But you shouldn't worry. They are cheap and easy to replace. I never wearied brushed motor out (I was flying with hb for about ~ 6 months)
Back to top Go down
blackrain0119

blackrain0119

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm

I agree p3tras. Also once you learn how to fle a single rotor heli, then you can get the brushless motor for collective pitch helicopters, they are very good motor.
Back to top Go down
Trinot

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 10:29 pm

Hey Lon, Welcome to the forum. You might as well get used to the idea of taking your heli apart and reassembling it. It's just part of the fun of the hobby, and there is no big mystery to them. It's like a Holly carb, if you got one on your rod, pretty soon you can take it apart and put it back together blindfolded. It's the brushes that wear out in the "stock" motors. And most of these small motors don't have replaceable brushes. So you just spend the $7.50 and replace it. Anyway, chances are, you'll have it apart many times before you have to replace the motor. Good luck and again, welcome! navy1
Back to top Go down
lonstar70

lonstar70

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 am

chiefqm wrote:
Hey Lon, Welcome to the forum. You might as well get used to the idea of taking your heli apart and reassembling it. It's just part of the fun of the hobby, and there is no big mystery to them. It's like a Holly carb, if you got one on your rod, pretty soon you can take it apart and put it back together blindfolded. It's the brushes that wear out in the "stock" motors. And most of these small motors don't have replaceable brushes. So you just spend the $7.50 and replace it. Anyway, chances are, you'll have it apart many times before you have to replace the motor. Good luck and again, welcome! navy1

Thanks for the welcome and info. And I'm glad to see that motors don't cost so much. I think I will be able to work on the helicopters... If it involves just taking out and putting in screws, connecting and disconnecting wires (no soldering I hope), then I think I can handle that!
Back to top Go down
jstarks

jstarks

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 8:33 am

Yeah there is soldering involved but its not hard at all. orange74

I had to change the tail motor on my hbfp v1 because the motor shaft got bent in a crash (not because the motor wore out) and it was easy. the new motor was $7.50 and it took me about 20 minutes to change it out. And I have only been into this hobby for about two months! noob

One way to look at it is this, If you are looking at your heli sitting there broken; what have you got to loose by trying to fix it???? orange78 Nothing...

Welcome and enjoy the forum!!!! :prop:

J.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please explain motors to me   Please explain motors to me I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please explain motors to me
Page 1 of 1