RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

BEC for HK-500GT

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 1:28 am

I'm starting to gather parts. Would this BEC work for my upcoming 500 heli build? I'm gonna use a 6S battery.

Also how does it hook up to the heli? Does it hook up to the ESC or directly from the battery? It has a jumper for 5 or 6V. what should I use?

I never used a BEC before..

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4319
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: BEC experience   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:30 am

I have been using this BEC on my 450.

http://www.helidirect.com/sportbec-switchmode-bec-p-4550.hdx

There is some pretty good documentation on the above link on how to hook them up. This model is nice in that you dont have to disconnect the red center wire from your ESC's bec cable to defeat the ESC's BEC power. You can use either 5V or 6V but, you have to be sure if you use 6V that your tail servo is OK running with 6V. If your tail servo can't run at 6V you either have to run at 5V, which will cause your servos to be a little slower, or get an inexpensive voltage stepdown device to put inline with the tail servo cable that will lower the 6V to 5V for the tail servo.

http://www.helidirect.com/western-robotics-tail-servo-stepdown-voltage-p-4665.hdx

I had a concern over my ESC heating up and thought it might be the ESC's BEC current demand that was causing the heat. Turns out that someone suggested modifying my throttle curves to have the throttle running closer to 100%. This causes the power system to operate with more efficency, causing the ESC to heat up less. I could probably get away with the ESC's built in BEC now that I have changed the throttle curve.

Switching back to the ESC's BEC is easy with the above BEC as you don't have to modify any of the wiring. You would just remove the BEC from the circuit.

I connected the BEC's power leads directly to the Deans connector for the battery. You could use a seperate battery but, for what I was using it for I didn't want to deal with the extra weight and complexity of adding another battery to the heli!

What ESC are you planning to use and why do you want to use a seperate BEC?

FWIW :bigthumb:

Last edited by cgetman02 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a question)
Back to top Go down
Mozzy

Mozzy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey,

The BEC you refer to is only suited for 2S to 5S Lipo's. Since you will be using a 6S Lipo, you should consider this this BEC suited for 3S to 10S Lipo's, also from HobbyKing.

Also take a look at my HKH-500 build thread, the HKH-500 is the same as the HK-500.
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 6:55 pm

Okay thanks. i wanted to use a BEC cause it seems like it's safer.

I currently have a Turnigy 80A ESC with builtin bec.
Back to top Go down
Mozzy

Mozzy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 am

I will be using the same Turnigy 80A ESC in my build. :bigthumb:

What motor are you gonna use?
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 5:03 am

I have 2 motors actually. A Hobbymate HB3650 1600KV, and a Hobby King 500H Heli Motor 1600kv. They're pretty much the same. Not sure which one to use yet. But I thought I'd have a spare.

I'm gonna finish off my 450 and fly it for a bit build before I dive into my 500GT.
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: 500's   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 am

Hey guys my 2 cents.. I use a HobbyWing Platinum 80A and use the INTERNAL BEC!! I've had no problems at all in fact the set up rocke IMO..!! I'm using the SCORPION 1600kv motor w/15T pinion!! Which is toooo much to start out with and is the MAX you will ever want to use!!!
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 5:52 pm

15T? Man that's a smoking head. what's the rpm's on the main rotor? does your esc get hot?
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Head Speed   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 7:26 pm

Head Speed is about 2775.. Which is about max.... ESC or Motor does not get hot at all!! The batterys don't either.. I get easy 6 min. with a 6S/2500 and 7 with 3000 battrerys get only warm....
Itr is border line too fast for me.. Just had 3 flights in fact.. This is clearly the FASTEST of all my helis!!!! This thing RIPS!!!!
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:15 am

How many teeth pinion would you guys recommend for a 1600kv motor normally? I don't know what was included in my 500GT or if it even came with one. 12T or 13T?
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Pinion vs Head Speed   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 10:41 am

There are some variabiles involved, How many cell battery? 4,5 or 6? Main Gear on the 500 GT? 162?
But the main thing to start off with is your ability?? Beginnier shoot for head speed of 2200...
Expert...2750-2850MAX!!! I consider myself a beginner however I went up to a 15T a couple weeks ago to see how much diff. there really would be...WOW!!!! Is all I can sayWOW!!!! I went from 13T(2425) to the 15T(2775) And it is an UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Scary fast now!!!! It is not really fun the same.. There is a rush with the POWER but you cannot relax while flying it... I'm thinking of going to a smaller one... The 15T would be PERFECT for an expert!!!! Power and Speed that's awesome!!!
But for sport type flying it is really too much..Anyway that is to try and give you some perspective about the difference!! My suggestion is this.. Beginner 12T-13T(2250-2425) above beginner to expert...14T - 15T (2600-2775).. ALSO 2400rpm head speed and up Carbon Fiber Blades are a MUST for safety!!!! I would also suggest using a lower swash mix to start, then raise it as you get used to it!! I think the 500 class heli's ROCK!!!! I've got two now and am waiting for my ESKY 900 to show up.. I've got my HDX 500 set up very mild with 4S battery's and low swash numbers and let me say.. It is so enjoyable and soooo Much FUN to fly it makes me giggle!! Man I just cruise around with it !!!
It is also what my 20 year old daughter is using to learn to fly with....
Good luck!!! If there is anything I can do to help please let me know!!
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 pm

I want a slow headspeed just to hover and fly around so not looking for speed. So could I go even lower like 10T or 11T?

I have turnigy 6S 3000mah batts. I didn't know you can use a lower cell count. Maybe I should've done that. But i was afraid 4S wouldn't lift off. Would 3S work too? I just want my heli to be timid and tame for now.

Since I already have 6S batts can I still tone it down with a lower pinion gear?

I'm working on my 450 now and my swash mix is about 60% for elevator and aileron. I have pitch at 125% cause I need it to give me the pitch I need which is at 10% at full throttle and 1% at low stick.
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Stuff   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:34 pm

OK, You could use less cell but since you have the 6S I'd stick with that.. It will fly good with it..
I would not go less than a 12T pinion, that will give you about 2200 at FULL THROTTLE!! You will not be there very often..at first... I would go with about 60 on the swash too. Pitch use what ever you need..
On your 450... That is another matter that sounds to me like it needs something, 125 on the pitch is maxed out and I don't think it should need to be.. You maybe have something else wrong/off...
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Yeah on my 450 heli, i had to max out the swash mix for pitch to 125% out in order to make the pitch be 10 degrees. I don't know what's going on with that. Could be some mechanical issue I think. I guess it's different for everyone but what your pitch mix setting?
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: SWASH SETTINGS   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:25 pm

I'm not sure what any of them are without lookin.. But out of the 7 flying now none are at 100% even.. My "G" might be at 90% and everything else is lower than that!! I would say for sure there is a machanical issue keeping you from getting the pitch.. What 450 is it??
Back to top Go down
kaymm2

kaymm2

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:29 pm

It's a Flasher PE 450.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BEC for HK-500GT Empty
PostSubject: Re: BEC for HK-500GT   BEC for HK-500GT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BEC for HK-500GT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Helicopters :: 6ch Collective Pitch Helicopters-
Jump to: