RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Signs that HBFP main motor is going south

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cgetman02

cgetman02

Signs that HBFP main motor is going south Empty
PostSubject: Signs that HBFP main motor is going south   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 1:40 pm

I suspect that my main motor may be in the early stages of failing. What are some of the symtoms that you guys have seen?
I seem to be having to adjust the motor speed more than I seem to remember. Everytime I have to goose the power to remain at altitude the torque causes me have to adjust the rudder. I may be not using fine enough control input on the throttle also. (I guess the coaching on this type of issue that I could receive at the funfly would be really helpful.)

The issue also may be that as I am getting to be a better pilot I'm able to notice more subtle issues with the HBFP. I can hover pretty reliably in a 10' cube.

I'm anxious to find out the differences in flying the HBFP vs the EXI Squadron that should be arriving today. Yipeeee!

The EXI build will probably take a while for this newbe but with the excellent guidance here I should be able to get it really close the first setup.

Thanks again guys for all the support!

Curt orange74
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: cube   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Get that cube down to 3 ft. You will need to do that so you can handle the C.P. EXI
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Working hard on it!   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm practicing as much as possible and making progress. With more Clearview work and practice I think I'll be ready. I have two of the EXI squadron frames coming one to build up and one for spares. I thought at the price it was a good spare parts cache.

Curt
Back to top Go down
RTF-HELI

PostSubject: Re: Signs that HBFP main motor is going south   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:53 am

Adding a motor heat sink to the main motor and tail motor can increase the longevity of the motor.

flyaway
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Heatsinks are a good idea!   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 10:44 am

I added heatsinks to both the main and tail motors quite some time ago. Still running the original main motor and the second tail motor due to flying error collision with something hard. Knocked the endcap out of the tail motor!

You can't go wrong with the heatsinks.

I'm starting to think that some of the symptoms I am attributing to the motor may be more related to inpercision in the transmitter throttle circuit. After reading more about my new DX6i, I'm thinking that the throttle control in the HBFP transmitter may be a little too sensative, small inputs from the transmitter throttle causing large variations in throttle in the HB.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify putting a AR6100 in the HBFP so I can use the DX6i!

Curt
Back to top Go down
RTF-HELI

PostSubject: Re: Signs that HBFP main motor is going south   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 1:27 pm

I guess that's the problem with a universal Tx/Rx that can run multiple R/C equipment. I haven't gone that route yet. The Rx/Tx that comes with the heli is working fine.

flyaway
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Flying like a new bird!   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 4:35 am

I was starting to wonder if I was having some battery problems, short flight times and low power. Started me thinking, not that many cycles on the batteries, multiple batteries showing the same result, what's in common. Charger problem, seemed to be working well. That left the HBFP.

Changed out the main motor with an original equipment replacement. It jumped off the floor like the old days! The old motor wasn't making any unusual noises or anything, just slowly started to notice, lack of power and shorter flight times. I guess those are the symtoms to keep an eye out for with a failing motor.

Guess it's time to restock the motor supply.

FWIW, Curt orange58
Back to top Go down
RTF-HELI

PostSubject: Re: Signs that HBFP main motor is going south   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitimeSun May 03, 2009 4:11 pm

From my experience, the 370 carbon brushed motor lasts about on average 150 full flights before failure.

flyaway
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Signs that HBFP main motor is going south   Signs that HBFP main motor is going south I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Signs that HBFP main motor is going south
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Helicopters :: 4ch FP and Co-Axial Helicopters-
Jump to: