HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Share | 

Weight - wind - stability

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hardfourteen

PostSubject: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 2:03 am

Most topics/comments on these forums seem to be heading toward lighter stronger faster. I can understand the stronger part but, I am NEW to flying (?) and I have a theory. On the smaller heli's if I am willing to sacrifice speed I think adding weight (within reason) should make the heli more stable and better able to handle breeze. Does this make sense? Ever since we got rid of the snow we seem to have wind. Nothing fierce but 10-20 mph... To much for my coax and the HBFP I am to get...
Comments? orange44 orange51
Dave - from the no longer frozen north...
Back to top Go down
Prel

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 2:21 am

You got to remember that everything you do to gain something is going to cost you somewhere else. Same added weight will indeed make your bird more stable but downside, it has to work harder to generate enough lift. Response will be slower (not always a bad thing for us newbies). One of the problems you could find with slower responce is a tendancy to over correct (slow the heli responce and you also slow your stick input responce).

My suggestion would be to read and try. People tend to broadcast the good side of thier mods but rarely the bad. If you read enough you will find someone who has tied and didn't like a mod and will tell you why.

IMHO on the small lighter helis, SuperSkids add just about the right amount of weight to gain a smoother less twitchy flight but not enough to be a responce problem. I know they made a huge differance to the characteristics of mine.

As with all my posts, I hope If I am wrong anywhere someone will jump in and correct me. We are all learning and can learn so much off of each other.

Darrel
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 8:04 am

I agree with Prel 100% on all of that.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
hardfourteen

PostSubject: Weight   Wed May 06, 2009 2:58 pm

OK so I just have to ask ... what is IMHO? Just to prove I am new to this. orange6
Thanks for the input.
I'll let you know what happens - maybe just a pound or two extra to try out my theory. orange71
Dave
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

PostSubject: In My Humble Opinon!!   Wed May 06, 2009 3:15 pm

I agree that weight is a very good thing for learning, I've learned on a HBK2!!!
Wild Thing!!! I had some trouble at the start even with training gear, tipping and crashing you know!!! So what I did, was, on top of the training is I got 4, 3/16 wooden dowels 36 in. long .glued some(8) 2.5 styrofoam balls on the ends. Then zip tied them on top of the training gear sorta like a tic-tac-toe board. This gave me a really big training footprint. But not only did it keep the king upright it added weight low on it and it made so stable, well relitively speaking. and MUCH easier to fly. It did shorten flight time some but not much.
There is no doubt in my mind that I never would be flying like I'm if I hadent done that.
I could post a pix if anybody needs.
All you new guys... try it... I've been flying since Jan. and I'm at forward flight..
In fact. I've had 5 flights today with my Screamer 480 and NO crashes!!! Not Hovering, flying around!!! I'm convinced this did it for me.... Also RADDS too without that I don't think so either..
I'll post some pix of today.. I'll put them on fatdaddyz fleet.
Back to top Go down
Prel

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 4:35 pm

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Is a humble opinion worth 2 cents? navy1
Back to top Go down
Prel

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 06, 2009 9:09 pm

My opinion isn't worth anything lol thats why I give it freely
Back to top Go down
Hanol

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Wed May 13, 2009 10:58 pm

Small coax helies like Esky are optimized for indoor flying. They are very stable and easy to fly. However they are slow on response and speed. So even if you have a slightest wind and some gusts, you won't be able to fly them outdoors, as their sluggishness and low speed won't let you correct for the wind. Wind will always will be several steps ahead of your heli.

However they can handle the wind with some modifications. But heli will became much more sensitive, unstable and much more difficult to fly. So you can add one mod at a time as your confidence level grows until you can fly outdoors with some wind. I doubt you will ever be able to fly Lama and such with 10 - 20 mph winds, but you will be able to do it on some relatively calm days.

There are basically 3 mods for coax that will do it:

1. Lighter/shorter stabilizer bar - reduces self stabilization effect. Makes it react faster, but makes it unstable.
2. Extended inner shaft - prevents blade clash and increases speed. No ill effects, as far as I know.
3. Longer servo arms - increases roll/pitch rate, but makes it much more sensitive and less precise.

The rest of the mods, like different motors, blade grips, swash plate, blades, etc. won't affect handling if they are operating correctly. But you may want to do them anyway, as stock plasic parts tend to wear out over time, develop cracks and break easily.
Back to top Go down
hardfourteen

PostSubject: weight etc   Sat May 16, 2009 2:30 am

I don't build - but I may have to start. My V3 and V4 have all the mods mentioned although I haven't yet shortened the adjustable flybar...will try in the wide open spaces (as soon as I can get the ball players off my airfield headbeat

Funny thing, I just finished building an "expanded" crash protection. 24" bamboo rods, party favor tops (local store didn't have foamballs) on the ends and strapping the whole thing to regular ping pong ball set up. BUT: I am attaching it to a Walkera 22E. Got is Xmas 2007 - as a beginner heli atomic It was the start of the addiction... so thanks to forum videos it now has been properly set up (Exceed Eagle 50 video) and since it has been laughing at me for a couple of years IT WILL GET LAUNCHED. Don't care about hovering or...but it will be airborne!!! Soon... smiley-happy057 I may even disclose the grizzley results. Maybe old
Back to top Go down
Hanol

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   Sat May 16, 2009 3:01 am

As I said in other threads, E-Sky helies fly perfectly well indoors out of the box. No mods needed. But if you have wind, this is another story. There are only 3 things that affect it:

1. Lighter/shorter fly bar.
2. Longer top shaft.
3. Longer servo arms.

The rest is purely cosmetic and does not affect the flying characteristics, if they work right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight - wind - stability   

Back to top Go down

Weight - wind - stability
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1