RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Ready to buy (I think)

Go down 
+7
Rockyrush
TRISTAR7737
blazemob
Prel
Fatdaddy
Donnie D
branflake12
11 posters
AuthorMessage
branflake12

branflake12

Ready to buy (I think) Empty
PostSubject: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:00 pm

New to Helis, but have planes, cars, a boat and a hovercraft. In the final research phases. Sim from esky and code from clearview should be here soon.

Live in iowa, work in finance, love my toys.

Looking at an esky honeybee Fixed, a falcon 40 or what my LHS sells helimax Novus FP. Dont know much about the 3rd one.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 10:24 pm

I would recommend the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch. More online info and help available than with the other two. Plus it is a great little trainer. old 2cents

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: HBFP   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:15 pm

STAY AWAY from the Falcon 40 its a very spindly cheaply made bird, I was even affraid to spin mine up!! I closed the box and sold it without even puttin it the battery.
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:01 am

I have a differing opinion than most here. I say jump right in and go for it. Something along the lines of http://www.xheli.com/exrc2450sert.html
With your experiance with RC, orientation will not be much of a problem for you. You would learn to hover the FP and then be looking for more very soon.
A lot of people here will argue with me but if you read through the posts most start here new to the hobby and in a very short period of time are looking to a bigger CP. There is a little more to setting upand tuning a CP but we all have to learn it anyway.

What ever path you choose I wish you all the luck and hope you enjoy you heli as much as we do.

Darrel
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: I agree   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:25 am

I agree with Prel. I only commented cause I had a Falcon in my hands. I bought it for my wife and she has since decided not to fly. I would have sold it before she tryed to fly it anyway and got her a HBFP. I got it after having my HBK2 for a couple months. I also would suggest to anyone who has a fair amount of hand eye cord. to go CP and work hard at it. Thats what I did, but not on purpose I didn't know any better at the time. I also agree that most of the guys here or anywhere would not agree with us but everyone has got their own thoughts. Mine are go with a HBK2 hahahaha!!!! No I really mean it!!!! I've made out ok and I think that anyone who really wants to fly RChelis will get it in the end like I did!!!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: ES600   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:27 am

No really I think the best heli to start with is the ESKY ESmart!!!!! It is cool!!!!!
Back to top Go down
blazemob

blazemob

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 12:43 am

i like the hbfp cuz its a lil tank man ive done some damage to mine and it still flye for instant i sumerged it in oil and it still flew but if u wanna go big get an 600 lol there awousome lol but in my opinion the hbfp is awousome
Back to top Go down
branflake12

branflake12

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:01 am

wow look at the feeback. Thanks guys. I will stick with a fixed pitch for simplicity and cost reasons at this point, and it looks like the Honeybee.
Back to top Go down
TRISTAR7737

TRISTAR7737

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 1:28 am

Hi branflake,

If you have read around in the various forums and helps out there, you will see there is a "traditional" path and a not so traditonal path in approaching your first heli.

This "traditional" path makes a lot of sense, in that you get something like a Falcon 40 (or Honey Bee Fixed Pitch) because it is cheap, and relatively simple and has a fixed pitch blade. Nuttcaze has good vids on that bird and they are worth having a look at. It also explains the differences between 4 channel and 6 channel. The complexity of the heli is simple, so it is easier to learn, and understand.

My experience is that the larger heli's are more stable, I have a Walkera 4#3B - it is a micro heli, and very hard to hover. I also have a 300 CP Pro, and it also has a reputation for being on the "skiddish" or "flighty" side, meaning less stable.

My 450 (although no a beginers heli) is what I've been putting my time into, now that the weather outside is starting to calm down a bit.

So, remember that a Fixed Pitch heli is not going to tollerate wind very well, so your local flying conditions should take that into account.

Nuttcaze has posted a recommended first level 6 channel heli the Belt CP (look under the 6 channel section of this forum). I went the 6 channel route to learn how to hover (so this is what I would call... non-traditional). I wanted a heli I could grow into, and I live in a windy area, so I wanted a 6 channel to learn on, but that's just a personal preferance (and maybe cause I'm crazy to).

Some other things I would mention are: when learning to fly, you will crash, so you want inexpensive parts to keep you going (so Blazemob & Donnie D make a good point). Make sure you have enough space (garage, or other protected space) to do things like spin ups to get a feel for the heli before you take it outside. And like Prel & Fatdaddy have said... you can get a limited funtion heli, or bite the bullet at get a 6 channel. I would echo their point, don't let a 6 channel intimidate you, but don't let us talk you into something your not comfortable with either. I think it is fair to say a 6 channel may cost you more in parts, but you can also grow into it.

happy hovering,

Tristar
Back to top Go down
branflake12

branflake12

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2009 6:59 pm

Thanks TriStar. I am going to try the traditional FP method. Get decent, tinker with it and see what makes them tick right and wrong, then go for a belt CP or bigger.
Back to top Go down
Rockyrush

Rockyrush

PostSubject: also   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:03 am

I purchased the esky simulator so I'm hoping that will help. I will def look into the honey bee and yes fixed pitch is my dream. Going to the park showing off some heli skills lol
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:28 pm

branflake12 wrote:
Thanks TriStar. I am going to try the traditional FP method. Get decent, tinker with it and see what makes them tick right and wrong, then go for a belt CP or bigger.

Thats what I always suggest, keep us posted on your progress orange74
Back to top Go down
branflake12

branflake12

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 1:36 pm

Thanks Nutt, will do. Sim should be here tomorrow. I have demos installed for FMS, clearview, proflight and one other one I cant place now. My LHS really REALLY wanted to sell me real flight g4...a little out of the price range. Looking for a deal on a honeybee with a lipo right now.
Back to top Go down
HeliHansen

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:28 pm

With no previous R/C experiance I purchased a Honeybee King 2 6ch CP to start with just because I wanted to have somthing I could spend alot of time with and not have to upgrade soon and I love it. Today i actually destroyed some head parts but I am learning and it is great FUN!!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: HBK2   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 8:47 pm

The HBK2 is also what I learned on too!!! I love the little crack head!!!LOL It is a wild little beast. But its easy to work on and parts are cheap enough. Good luck and check out RADDS school of rotary flight. I consider it a must... but who am I ???
I think starting out with an ESmart really is the way to go!!!LOL
Back to top Go down
tominator06

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 2:59 pm

I just started flyin this year. I started in a honeybee king2. It took some time on my clearview simulator and a few sets of blades but parts are cheap for this heli. I bought a couple used birds for parts for a song on ebay. With your airplane experience I think you will run out of heli very quickly with a fixed pitch. Just my 2 cents. I would try a cp heli. King3 or belt cp come to mind. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Back to top Go down
4n6Days

4n6Days

PostSubject: re:Ready to buy   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 10:56 pm

I started by playing around in FMS with a Playstation 1 controller with a USB adapter... LOL Then I bought a used Blade CP on craigslist (I don't recommend this - buying a used heli that is - you just never know what you're going to get and prices have dropped so much that it's usually just a few bucks more for a new one) that ended up not having a good battery, so it'd only fly for about 30 seconds.

Then I sold the Blade, and got an E-Sky Belt CP V2 (which just dropped $50 in price - D'oh) and an EXI 450SE. Definitely happy with the stability and performance of the Belt CP.

There is definitely something to be said for having a belt driven tail and a heavier heli as a beginner. And with the EXI 450, you can go to your local hobby shop and by trex parts when you bury the Belt CP in the dirt. Or just buy another EXI 450.
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Starter Heli   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 7:38 am

Just thought I mention that I once again have a full metal "E" complete for sale!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ready to buy (I think)   Ready to buy (I think) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ready to buy (I think)
Page 1 of 1