RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Thunder T6 Charger

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:03 pm

I just received my Thunder T6 charger today. How do I know when my battery is finished charging. Does the charger stop automaticly or beep or what?
Back to top Go down
blazemob

blazemob

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:13 pm

it beeps once its done charging
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm

If it's the same as the Thunder AC6 and they all say it is, then it is gunna beep with a noise that will scare the crap out of you. orange1
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Thanks for responding Blazemob. If I happen to not hear the beep, is there any other way to know when it has finished charging? Message on screen or anything?

Thanks,
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 10:53 pm

OK guys, I need some help here. I charged my 11.1v, 2400mAh batt with no problem. Charger beeped when done and gave a FULL message on screen. When I try to charge my 5 cell, 18.5 v, 4000 mAh batt, (just got it today with the charger) during set up the charger shows it is recognizing only a 4 cell batt, but if I hit OK to start charging, it shows voltage for all 5 cells. But after a maybe 4 or 5 minutes it beeps and gives a cell count warning. What do you think might be wrong?

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 11:44 pm

have you got it set to Auto or are you telling it that it is a 5cell?
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:03 am

dunce I did it the way Nuttcaze shows in his vid. Plugged in the cords, selected lipo balance charge, it is a 5 cell, 18.5v, 4000 mAh, so I set it to charge at 4 amps, then set it for 18.5 v and hit start. When it checked the batt it came back with the left side of the screen saying 4 cell and the right side of the screen says 5 cell. Hope that makes sense.

The manuel does say that if the batt is very low that might happen, but I don't understand what to do about it. I,m not sure how to set it on auto.

The batt is brand new, got it today with the charger.

I'm at a loss right now. orange3 sad122

Feel like an idiot. dunce

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:19 am

I would give it a try on auto and see what happens. Easy to get to it. use the same procedure that you use to get to 18.5v/5 cell but go down through the voltages. lowest 1 is auto. Set it to balance and see what it does.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 12:45 am

OK I tried that. Only way I could get Auto to come up on screen was to set it on Lipo Charge and scroll thru voltages and Auto came up. So I left it on Liop Charge, Autp. 4.o amp and held start doen, went to battery check, but came up still showinf 4s.

When I would scroll thru voltages on Ballance It would only scroll from 7.4v thru 22.2v and Auto would not show up. orange3

angry032
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:33 am

whatt dunce Boy, I wish I knew what to do about this problem. I bought this batt so I could finish my ES 600 build, and the charger so I could charge the larger batts. Until I can figure this out, I'm at a total stand still. whatt dunce

HELP

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:34 am

Hopefully Nuttcaze can shed some light on it
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 8:46 am

I hope so. I sent him a PM late last night about it, but I haven't heard back yet.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:51 pm

Does anyone out there use the Thunder T6 charger? I need some help.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 9:29 am

Hey Donnie D, Just had a thought. Try running a discharge cycle then charge it again and see how it goes. Probably wouldn't hurt to check the voltage of the individual cells and let us know what they are
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 3:00 pm

Good idea. Thats what I'm doing now. Takes a loooooong time though. I got online with rcdiscuss and thats what the guy there said to do. Said to discharge the bat down to 3.0 v per cell, and then try ballance charge again. I think the problem is with the batt though because I have allready charged one of my 3S and one of my 2S batts sucessfuly. I just detects the new 5S batt as a 4S batt and when I try to chargre anyway it will abort the charge after a few minutes.

Thanks for responding. I was beginning to think nobody out there loved me anymore. orange4

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 3:43 pm

Your not suppose to charge a full or nearly full battery on the thunder chargers, was just thinking that that may be causing a problem. Let me know how it goes.

Another good little trick you can do with it. With a freshly charged battery, check voltage. If there is a discrepancy between what the charger said it charged to and the charged battery voltage you can manueally caliblrate the charger. Turn it on with the DEC and ENTER buttons held down for about 5 seconds and it will go to a calibration mode and you can reduce or increase the voltage so your batteries don't over or under charge.

Darrel
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:11 pm

I'm not sure, but I think this charger has a min and max voltage for each type of batt built in. I don't think the charger will discharge a lipo to below 3.70v. I tried to restart it when it stopped the discharge a while ago and it discharged for about two minutes and stopped. At that time cells 1 thru 4 read 3.70v and cell 5 read 3.81. I'm gonna wait awhile, and try that again. If it won't discharge further, I'll go ahead and try to recharge and see what happens.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Hopefully if you ballance charge it. It will be ok.

What the caliblarion is for is if your charger says it charged a bettery to 10v (number out of my head). You check the freshly charged battery and and it says it is 10.2v you can turn the charger down .2v so when it says 10v it is 10v not 10.2v

Darrel
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Battery charging   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm not using the same charger but, Is the battery fully charged? If it is in need of charge and there is some question about balancing or cell voltage I think you should set it up to balance charge at .5 amp This will allow the cells to all take an equal amount.
My charger tells you to do this to do a battery recovery. I think you might need to just start out with a battery you know is right and I think this is the way you do that.
Just my thoughts on this. I use the Thunder power TP-610C
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:05 pm

Prel,

Here's the latest. To make a long story short, the charger will not discharge a lipo batt to below 3.7v. That's a good thing. But at that point(cells 1 thru 4 at 3.7v and cell 5 at 3.84v I tried balance charging again, and got the same result. Charger detects a 4S batt, not a 5S. Let it try to charge 2 times and both times after 12 minutes (the battery detect time I set) the charger aborts the charge with same error msg. Cells 1 thru 4 had charged up to the 3.88 range but the cell 5 was still at 3.84, no change.

My conclusion is either cell 5 on batt is bad(I don't think it is) or the charger cannot detect, discharge or charge cell 5 for whatever reason.
I think the prolem is with the charger.

What do you think?

Guess I'll get up with rcdiscuss next week and see what XHeli will do. From the other posts I've read, they seem to be pretty reasonable when it comes to customer service.

I tell you what, I'm still very impressed with the charger. Looking forward to getting this problem resolved and start using it and being able to finish my 600 build.

I really appreciate you trying to help me.

Wish me luck.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:10 pm

Hey Fatdaddy, I was typing a reply to Prel when you posted your message. The batt is brand new, just got it yesterday with the charger from XHeli. I'm pretty convinced that the problem is gonna be with the charger, but thanks for chiming in to help me. I really am impressed with the charger though. I charged one of my 2S and one of my 3S batts with no problem.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thunder T6 Charger Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thunder T6 Charger   Thunder T6 Charger I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thunder T6 Charger
Page 1 of 1