RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

results of honey bee FP upgrades

Go down 
+8
coptercrazy
jerrydgaines
Mozzy
cgetman02
Brutus5
Jack the R
blazemob
Ron9711
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ron9711

Ron9711

results of honey bee FP  upgrades Empty
PostSubject: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:18 am

worked all day on trying different stuff wound up with this..
micro heli blue cnc blade grips

extreme center hub/shaft

extreme flybar paddle

extreme swash plate

super skids

extreme 380 motor

I tried the carbon fiber blades that are supposed to be great, but they vibrated terribly so much balancing on the heli was outta the question... I tried the extreme blade grips but the seem to fit tight o the bearings of the hub and didnt move freely so I ended up using the blue cnc grip by micr-heli/ when I got the heavier head gear and super skids on the heli was miserably underpowered, so I put the extrreme 380 motor on it EHBOO5 from heli direct, and it is three times more powerfull than the stock esky, and three times quiter, and lasts longer per charge a very smooth running heli now!!! orange72
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:00 pm

[img]results of honey bee FP  upgrades S1052761[/img]

here it is aint it purrrddeeee.... orange6
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:03 pm

the cnc stuff it is veeerrryy smooth....

[img]results of honey bee FP  upgrades S1052762[/img]
Back to top Go down
blazemob

blazemob

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Looks nice man can u get a video of it in flight?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:40 pm

Sounds like a reasonable upgrade path for HBFP.

Is that the same motor as this one - Link?

How stout is the vertical tail fin/anti-strike rod in the super skids kit?
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 7:58 pm

uh no I have no vid camera and am pretty much a solo flyer for now LOL!! And Yes that is the motor- alot more power than the stock one... I found a problem with the micro-heli blue cnc blade grips they want to slip off the bearings to the side, so I put the extreme gripds back on and will try that, may end up back to plastic if the extremes are too tight which they seem to be once the links are connected.......Gawd I just looove dis stuff.... angry032 rofl te tail surt on the super shids sems to eally beef up the strike bar as long as its tight....
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:08 pm

Does the little ball on the strike ball come with the super skids?

I hear you on the frustration. It's always so windy I don't know why I bother . . . I have to fly when it's too windy for the little electric birds and end up breaking them.
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 9:30 pm

Yep the little ball is part of the kit- holds on tightly and the tail is reeeely solid with the set up, and I just burned a batt or two trying the extreme blade grips which as I said fit tightly on the bearings when then links are hooked up,,, and,,,, I LIKE IT-----alot more stable with the tightr blade grips!!!!That was with the all platic stock rotor head swash etc and the extreme blade grips with,, da 380X extreme motor could be the winning combo!!!! excited till i figure out how to screw that up......... smokingele
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:12 pm

How can you have the plastic rotor head and Xtreme blade grips? It's one part orange78

I've broken a couple of the plastic rotor heads. The little ball links snap easy if I hit anything with the rotor. One part I would not mind upgrading at all . . .
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Jack the R wrote:
How can you have the plastic rotor head and Xtreme blade grips? It's one part orange78

I've broken a couple of the plastic rotor heads. The little ball links snap easy if I hit anything with the rotor. One part I would not mind upgrading at all . . .

uhhh the grips are a seperate piece that snaps onto the plastic rotor head/bearings--
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm confused.

You're putting metal parts on this -

results of honey bee FP  upgrades ES0200A

?
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:55 pm

Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: O-Ring Links   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 9:47 pm

I tried the O-ring link replacement. It didn't work for me. I suspect there was too much streach in the O-rings which caused instability.

Your mileage may vary though! orange83

Curt

I just buy the linkages in multiple quantities, they are inexpensive. They are the weak link in my upgraded head assembly.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 1:25 am

Brutus5 wrote:
Hi there, take a look at this

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9604924&postcount=1820

Cool, I had been thinking along those lines but not implemented anything yet. Where does one acquire these o-rings?
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 1:40 am

I've purchased a O-ring set from a car dealer character0182
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 2:09 am

Do they have a size?
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 6:39 am

itsok_170

The one in the link say's 1/2x3/8x1/16. But, I didn't get hold of that so I use metric one's. And they are 14x10x1,8mm.
Sorry, 12x10x1,8 it is

Last edited by Brutus5 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Jack the R wrote:
I'm confused.

You're putting metal parts on this -

results of honey bee FP  upgrades ES0200A

?

No, I meapgrade all metal blade grips by extreme heli direct has them ...
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 3:43 am

Xtreme metal rotor head/grips on the plastic center hub set?

results of honey bee FP  upgrades ES0203

Silly heli terminology.
Back to top Go down
Ron9711

Ron9711

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2009 1:39 pm

Yep. the cnc grips fit on the plastic or the upgrade metal hub as well.....
Back to top Go down
Mozzy

Mozzy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Hey!

I succeeded in getting the Xtreme Composite Blade Grip to work! orange5

Firstly to clarify: the Composite Blade Grip consists of 3 main part:
-a metal frame
-a plastic inner hub, that grips onto the two bearings on the central hub
-a fibre plate
See this link for a detailed view:

When I first tried the Composite Blade Grip it made my HBFP vibrate out of control. While I was using a balanced set of blades. orange78
I also needed to put the plastic hub on the central hub before tightening the 4 screws that fix the inner hub to the metal frame. Because tightening these screws deformed the plastic inner hub.

After removing the inner hub from the metal frame, I noticed that the 4 screws had forced some of the plastic upwards. Furthermore, the plastic inner hub has small brims on the sides, from the mould it was cast in. I removed the excess plastic on the sides and on top of the screw holes.

Now the inner hub more easily fits within the metal frame. I can now completely assemble the rotor heads with blades before putting it onto the central hub. It snaps onto the central hub like the stock plastic rotor head. And more importantly, it spins without vibrating! orange74

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2009 7:00 pm

I don't remember if this was mentioned, but I found a thread that talks about the Xtreme motor burning out the 4-in-1:

Link
Back to top Go down
Mozzy

Mozzy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 2:28 am

Correct!
I am using a 7,5 amp fuse between the Xtreme motor and the 4in1. A fuse is also a good idea when you are using a stock motor. A sudden halt of the motor (while giving throttle) while short the ESC.
Until now I have repaplaced the fuse 4 times! So this simple mod saved me four 4in1s orange74
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 4:10 am

Where did you get your fuse and how did you set it up?
Back to top Go down
Mozzy

Mozzy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 9:13 am

Just take one of the motor wires, cut it, and solder a fuse inbetween.
I (and most people) use car fuses (not glas) On Ebay I bought a lot of 125 7.5 amp micro car fuses....let the fun begin orange58

Similarly, I but a 3 amp fuse on the tail motor. I saw somewhere that a 2.5 amp fuse is recommended, but that a 3 amp fuse will also do. I still have to burn that one...

I don't have the link not, will try to post it later.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 6:00 pm

RC car fuse, or full scale car fuse? I'm guessing the latter.

Can't tell you how much I wish I'd known this before burning out my HBFP's 4-in-1. redface
Back to top Go down
jerrydgaines

jerrydgaines

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 pm

At any car parts store;ie O'Rielly's, Autozone, Pepboy's, etc.., you can get an inline fuse holder so that you do not have to solder everytime. Just pull out the blown fuse and put another one in!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Have you got any idea what amp fuse Xtreme uses for their 180 motor size setup -

results of honey bee FP  upgrades EA-027_MED

Link

I emailed Miracle Mart's customer service about adding this to an order I just made, but no reply, so I guess I'll make my own rather than pay another S&H fee.

edit- nevermind, I found it, 5 amps. Great thread about putting fuses on the Lama here -

LInk

Now can anyone tell me why they soldered the fuses onto the motors instead of into the wires, as Xtreme does?
Back to top Go down
coptercrazy

coptercrazy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 4:02 am

Hey Gentlemen, I hear your frustration, I to went down that road with the extreme 380 motor and the fuses. After burning a couple hand fulls of fuses I gave up. I even bought a second motor thinking maybe I got a bad one. Just kept burning more fuses so I went to a Slo-Max 300. The copter flew great and I have been using them sense. End of story right , not quite, it seems that Slo-Max are becoming increasingly hard to find. I'm trying a new motor now it's one up from the Avionics Slo-Max. It's the Avionics Baron 330 it has removable brushes and ball bearings. So far it has plenty of power and runs smooth, the only thing is that it runs hot, I have about a dozen flites on the motor maybe when I get more time on it the temp will go down.
results of honey bee FP  upgrades 100_0154

Sorry about the blurry pic not that good with the camera Crazysmile
I also tried a direct drive tail, but couldn't stand the noise. My remedy for that and not burn out a tail motor every week was to go with a double motor tail. It splits the power so the motors seem to last for ever. orange74
results of honey bee FP  upgrades 100_0268

I hope this will shed some light for someone. orange78

Later,Phil
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2009 5:18 am

I've been wondering about direct drive vs double motor tail, but I hadn't considered the noise issue. The stock tail has more buzz than I like, would hate to have more of it.

Is everyone having trouble with the Xtreme 380?

Since my 4-in-1 is out of action, I'm thinking of switching to another transmitter with independent esc's and a heading hold gyro. Not gonna do it for a while, but it's on my mind. Maybe I should do a brushless main motor while I'm at it.

coptercrazy - Why not try adding another heat sink? Maybe you can get 2 more on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

results of honey bee FP upgrades
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next