RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Scale helicopter build

Go down 
+3
Fatdaddy
Ryan S
Donnie D
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Donnie D

Donnie D

Scale helicopter build Empty
PostSubject: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:09 am

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/cn1074Bell47G/index.html?currentid=101

I would love to build this helicopter as an electric. Does anyone know if this would be possable? Anyone have any experience with building a kit intended for gas as an electric?

It is just slightly larger than an E-Smart, so you would think it would be possable.

When someone says the word helicopter, this is the one that I think of.

Donnie D smiley-happy088

I guess that shows wheelchair my age.
Back to top Go down
Ryan S

Ryan S

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:35 am

Main problem is the frame is designed to accept gas components, not electric...

The engine mounts completely on another axis, the gear drive (main blade/tail) would need reworked, instead of a battery mount you have a fuel tank, the CG would be altered from new hardware, etc.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 7:56 am

Yeah, I imagine it would require a lot of modification. My first heli was about 25 years ago, and was a glo fueled Kalt Baron. I built it but never learned to fly it, so my experience was very limited and it's been so long ago I remember very little about the mechanics. But it's a great looking heli. It ptobably could be done though.

I'm sure I've read posts somewhere about people that have done it.

Anyone else have any info on this subject?

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Oh Yea   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Oh Yea it could be done. But I see the biggest problem as how it would look when done.. This heli doesn't have much body to hide the electrics, so you would see all of it and that really would take a lot away from it.. But I think with a small amount of custom made parts you could do it. Why not just do it in gas?
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 4:32 pm

I probably would do it in gas, but I just don't know much about them. My only experience is very limited and is with glo fuel. My recollection of that was it was very messy and required a lot of extra stuff to have to deal with, but I sure would love to build that heli. Maybe after you finish your G-Smart you can enlighten me a bit on your gas experience.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: I will   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 5:23 pm

Yea I figure I'm gonna start a new thread for it. I'll first put up some pix of how I received it. Its not brand new, the guy used it to test something??? But it looks like very little wear. Its gonna be a little while, I'm just about finnished the G5 build. I vreally did spend a little(LOT) more than I wanted to but everything came out really, really nice!! Both the EXI500 and the G5!!! Just finnished up the rebuild of the "E" aswell,
When the G5 is done I will do the tail set up on all 3 together.. Then I'm gonna fly, I'm concentrating on just one right now the 480 Screamer... Yesterday I had the best frickin
flight ever!! I mean really flying!!! Out over the field like even I could not believe it was me!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 pm

Sounds great.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 pm

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/cn1074Bell47G/index.html?currentid=101

Looks to me like you would have plenty of room in that canopy to stow all of the electronics and the battery.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:01 am

I think you should do it on nitro. Of course it will be more dirty, but with nitro it will be cheaper than electric and more fun to fly heli that makes nice sound (brrrrrrr smiley-happy088 )
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 7:55 am

You're probably right. But electric is so simple and clean.

Can anyone direct me to some info that is good to learn about the different fuels and fueled helis? (motors, fuel types and such) I'm pretty clueless about that stuff. Don't even know much about electrics yet.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:35 am

Here is some info someone got for me.

http://scalehelicopters.org/47g.html

I'm just starting to look over it.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 8:36 am

Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: sweet   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 10:06 am

Pretty sweet!!! I'd like an Apache powered by a turbine!! Real guns too!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:21 am

Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 1:53 pm

that thing is awesome. The only thing that'll keep me from scale helis is the price of the kits, some are cheap $ but quality ones are alot of $$ and I'd rather spend that extra money on more helis. But maybe in a few years I'll be able to have something like that.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Another great Bell 47G built from the Century kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng0mgSg3Y3s&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Frunryder%2Ecom%2Fhelicopter%2Ft136562p2%2F&feature=player_embedded

http://runryder.com/rrpw.htm?p=1054796&i=1

Donnie D smiley-happy088

I am gonna have to build one of these things if it hairlip's the governor.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Hey Fatdaddy,

Did you ever finish your G-Smart? I'm interested to hear how you like a gas heli.

I'm still planning to build a scale Bell 47g, and I still don't know if I will do it as a gas or convert it to eletric.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: "G"   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 am

Yea DD it is done and hyas been HOVERED!! After, the glow plug failed and having to wait for a new one I removed the AR7000 to put back on my HBK2. So thats where it is right now!!! I will be flying it in a day or so and will give pix and hopefully vid. at that time!!!

PS It is cool as S%$t
Back to top Go down
Bert

Bert

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 4:59 pm

Donnie D wrote:
OK Fatdaddy, will this do?

http://www.starwoodmodels.com/products/lm/LM1016overview.php

Donnie D smiley-happy088

OMG... the Dauphin there... *drools insanely* fly high

I need a nurse to attend my heart attack watching that awsome bird... excited
Back to top Go down
Addicted2Helis

Addicted2Helis

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 9:52 pm

That looks like it would be an awesome build. I definately think it would be possible to convert it too.

Here's a place that specializes in Apaches and the Blue Thunder. Indy Helis
These are mamoth size (about 7 feet long I think). Maybe some of the pics could give you ideas on how to modify yours, or make a custom frame.

Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks for the link. Awsome.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scale helicopter build   Scale helicopter build I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scale helicopter build
Page 1 of 1