RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?

Go down 
+2
blackrain0119
GW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
GW

GW

EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? Empty
PostSubject: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 7:07 pm

The other day I noticed the tail seemed to not be at 90 any more after running a couple packs through it. I checked all the screws and everything was tight. I loosened the screws holding the tail box and rotated it to bring it back to 90. Then today, I noticed while going through it to make sure everything was still setup okay, that the belt was very loose.
I don't think the boom is moving because the tail servo is still the same distance to the main frame and the EXI decal is still centered vertically on the boom.
Again I noticed the tail was twisted a little bit. Before doing anything, I checked to make sure that all the screws were tight. Everything was as it should be. I loosened the tail box and slid it back a bit to get some tension back on the belt again.
I retightened the screws and made sure the belt tension was were I set it and that the tail was back at 90.
For the heck of it, I grabbed hold of the vertical fin and found that I could twist the tail with very little effort. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean by just touching it that it will move but it is not so tight that you really have to use alot of force to get it to move.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
I don't want to ca the tail box to the boom as I will have the new CNC tail and head within a week and will be changing it out at that time but my concern is that the tail stays put until then.
George
Back to top Go down
blackrain0119

blackrain0119

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 pm

i did have that problem, I just recently bought an exi kit . Got everything the way it should be, But the plastic tail is one of the exi"s weakpoint. I would suggest changing it with cnc metal for 18 Bucks at xheli. Not only this thing is good but it has three screws, one in the middle that will hold the tail since the screw goes throught the tail boom. Try that and you will have a sweet tail of your exi. orange74
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 8:58 pm

I ordered the cnc head and tail combo for 39.95 from xheli. They had a code for free shipping until 7/5/09 so it only cost me 39.95 total.
I won't see the new parts until somewhere around the end of the week and I still want to fly before those parts come.
Any thing you may be able to recommend besides ca on the tail box.

By the way your saying the cnc tail has a third bolt that goes through it and the boom. Does this mean I have to drill a hole in the boom or is there already one in there?
George
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am

The Plastic tail box on the EXI's suck, more so on the Squadron's. Just wait till you get your upgrades rather then mess with the plastic box.

The CNC tail box has the same 3rd hole that the Plastic tail box has (but the CNC Tail Box will tighten down much better)
Back to top Go down
meanbaby

meanbaby

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 10:30 pm

wrap the tail boom with 1 round of scotch tape and retighten tail, should hold much better

another wqay is drill small hole on tail mount and screw in small short screw till it grap boom, if you wanna drill into boom, make sure it dont hit or be near belt :)

-pete
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 12:29 am

I agree with everyone else on replacing with cnc parts. I have an EXI450 also and put the cnc tail box on. The plastic one that comes with it isnt that great like Nuttcaze said. Dont waste to much time on it because your new one will simply work much better...
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: CNC control arm and slider   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:29 pm

I have upgraded my original Squadron with the CNC tail box. But, there is still a lot of slop (free play) in the control arm and slider. Has anyone purchased a CNC control arm and slider that they would recomend? I realize that after you purchase the tail box and control arm and slider you probably have nearly as much invested as if you purchase the $39.95 head/tail combination from Xheli. Maybe the combo is the way I should go. Does anyone have the Xheli combo so they can coment on what they think of it?

Thanks for any input! orange74

Curt

Last edited by cgetman02 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 10:06 pm

cgetman02,

Maybe I got lucky with my EXI 450 with the plastic tail box because I had no slop in any of the slider or linkages, even after running 6 packs through it. My problem was that the whole box would turn on the boom and that's why I replaced it.

My new EXI CNC tail box and head combo just came in yesterday and I started putting it on tonight. This was the EXI combo head and tail for 39.95 on xheli. The tail assy. seems fine and I don't feel any slop in any of the linkages at all and everything is smooth as can be. I'll probably change the head assy. tomorrow night. That to is smooth as can be with no slop in anything that I can feel. There is a bit of play in the swash but nothing as compaired to the play in the swash that came with the stock 450.
Once I get everything in and set up I'm expecting things to be much better.
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Thanks for the info!   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 pm

GW,

Thanks for the info on the $39.95 head/tail combo. I will probably go that route to get rid of the free play I'm seening in the stock tail assembly. Then I'll have a bunch of spare parts also!

Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

Curt
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Just finished getting the new CNC head and tail on. Went out for a quick test hover to set it up. Had to put in a bit of forward trim (about 2 clicks). Tail was wagging like crazy so I ended up decreasing the gain on the gyro. Went from 80% down to 70% which is a good thing. Got it up in a hover and the wind decided to pick up, probably a few mph, but nothing big. Tail held firm and is now a pleasure to get up in the air.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!! The CNC head and tail is like night and day and I would strongly recommend this EXI 39.95 combination from xheli.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?   EXI450 boom/tail box slipping? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EXI450 boom/tail box slipping?
Page 1 of 1