RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video

Go down 
+9
WhiteKnite6
P3tras
blazemob
flagmax
Fatdaddy
Donnie D
Nuttcaze
GW
suriano
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: 6100   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:02 am

Hey Mick, Question, are you using the Logictech servo??? You might find it helpful to look at the vids on setting up the 2100 since they set up the same.. even though this is on a DX7 it still might help you understand better!!
http://store.rcsupersales.net/servlet/-strse-2311/Logictech-2100T-Gyro--pls-/Detail
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 am

Mick, You funny guy.....You dont have to disassemble the frame to adjust the motor.
I use a regular allen wrench through the bottom. One side goes through a hole in
the main gear.

Bummer about the Curtis part. Good thing you came clean with that one. Could
effect your credit score one day.... rofl
Back to top Go down
akent

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 am

Hey Mickulator, did we speak on the phone a couple of days ago?
You should come on over to my place. You mentioned that. We could compare notes on our E-smarts!
I have a few acres of space down by the lake to fly in, well, now that the lake is GONE.
Kent
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Three Amigos ...   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:51 am

Fellas;

Kent;

We never spoke on the phone. But your lakeside property sounds great. Hell, I'll even build a house on it, since you're feelin' so neighborly.

Then, when we retire, we can kick back on the porch, and dangle fishing lines into the lake from our skid pipes.

Aaah, this is the life!

Surry;

For me a regular allen wrench was too short on the short side, not enough leverage on the other to loosen the locktited screw. But I am a funny guy, indeed, thanks for noticing.

... and yes, pity about poor Curtis' short career as my best friend. Happy Trails! orange60

Fattdady;

Yup, I'm using the 6100T/6100G combo. Noisy little bastard, buzzing like a little blow fly. And I'll check out that link for some more info, but I THINK I have it set up perfectly now.

Next step is the NORMAL mode test to see if it piros at all in a hover. Then back to the bench for final tweaks.

Next Saturday (normally the weekly flying day for our local heli nuttz) there's a funfly in Houston, so nobody will be at the field. The following saturday I plan to launch the E-Smart.

I want somebody who knows what they're doing to make sure it's set up well before I do with it what I keep doing to my G2. After that, it's up to the Gods. I noticed that everybody at the park just pops theirs up into the air, much like the simulator, into a perfectly stable hover. Nothing at all like the insane behavior of the Falcon 40 Fixed Pitch, or my chronically beleaguered G2.

If the Smarty behaves, all my sim practice should start paying dividends.

Take Care For Now, All!

Mick
Back to top Go down
fazool

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 8:28 am

I noticed that some guys have the side windows cut out with some mesh added, where can I get that mesh?
Thanks, Frank
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 3:17 pm

For the Mesh in the window cutouts I used screen door patchs
that I got from Ace hardware. I think it comes in a pack of 5 or 6
and they are aluminium.
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Good Gentles ...   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 am

Hello, my friends;

I got my CF main blades today. Thanks for that FatDaddy, I got the Mavrikks. They look nice.

Think I'll wait to install them until the wooden ones are damaged.

The last item on its way to me is the tail fin package (CF).

Chompin' at the bit!

Take Care;

Mick

'old' <---that's what I'll look like before I get this E-Smart in the air!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: HAH!!   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:02 am

Yo mick, Don't wait!!! Put the blades on!!! They make a big diff.!! It will fly much better!!
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Blades ...   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:08 am

Ok...

I'll take that advice ...

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 5:28 am

+1 for installing the blades now

orange68
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:26 pm

+2 for installing the blades now.....

It will fly way better and smoother. Better to learn on.
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Blades   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 am

That should be enough to tip the scales.

Will do. I'll go ahead and keep the wooden blades just for backup.

Any reason to replace my "Full Metal Version" tail rotors (the larger ones) with CF ones?

Or won't that make much difference?

Mick orange78

PS Also, I kind of like the horizontal tail piece, even though I ordered the CF set. Might just replace the vertical one only. Any objections?
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Yeah, you can just replace vertical fin. Horizontal fin doesn't do anything serious :grinn:
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 1:10 am

P3Tras;

Thanks for the tip. How's your E-Smart doing?

Haven't heard from you for a while.

Take Care;

Mick
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 11:36 am

My esmart is almost ready to fly. Just need to adjust few things in head, program ESC, adjust gyro and that is all. I was hoping to fly today, but tx battery ran out, and it takes ~5hours to charge it redface
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: First Flight!!!   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 11:47 am

GREAT P,,!!!! Take it slow and easy!!!! Start with low swash mixes!! This heli is way more agile(twichy) than you think!!!! You can do it!!!!

GOOD , NO GREAT LUCK !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 12:14 pm

Yeah, good luck P3. Can't wait for your first flight report, and hopefully vid.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 3:26 pm

Hopefully video will be avaible :grinn:
And thanks FD for the advice! I was going to use 50% swash mix, but now I will use lower :grinn:
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: Day One ...   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 11:04 am

Yesterday the weather could not have been any better for my first E-flight. I may have mentioned before that there is a flying park around here called Lester Field.

I planned on going down and getting some help from the large group of Saturday morning heli flyers. Apparently, people come from other cities such as Houston to fly and learn with these guys, so I lucked out, living here in Austin.

The plan was to get the tail setup mechanically, so the tweaking could continue from that point on, i.e., setting Dual Rates and Expos (I don't fully understand dual rates yet), endpoints, swash mix, etc.

Finless Bob recommended 80% expo on the rudder to start. Then when HE was at the field, he mentioned he was using 95% expo, so I went with that. This was just for the test, mind you, so that if there is a big problem with the settings you won't over correct. Later the expo will go way down, maybe to about 15% or so.

I met a Trex 600N guy down there who introduced himself and promptly lended a very seasoned, experienced hand.

He double checked my work (Swash level, directions, etc) and then tested the tail. He wanted to slide the servo around, but it was already buck up to the end of the boom, so we twisted the links on the rod about five turns each, and that gave us room to use the servo. Now, for those who don't know, I DID have to trim the control rod.

If you're building a kit, you might as well just trim half the threads off each end of the tail control rod. That way you can screw the ball links much further onto the rod, and half the threads gives plenty-O-grip. :clap:

Otherwise, there may be no way to use it. How they don't know that at ESky is beyond me. After all, they have to build the kits, too, right? Go figure.

Tail adjusted, my new pal Jeff (a man with two very cool helis, and a pretty damn good pilot, too) took my Smarty to hover. All was well, until ...

It just conked out in mid-air (landed softly, though)!!

We didn't know what happened. Jeff had some fancy theories about static from the belt resetting the receiver, reprogramming the ESC (I had the card with me), and more.

I wondered whether my BEC was up to the task, since it is only a 3-5amp. Jeff didn't think that was it, since we weren't stressing the servos much in a hover.

Turning it off and reinitializing got us another, slightly longer flight, but sure enough, it conked out again, this time right near the ground.

Oh! Newb Alert. At least with MY servos, the control wires were situated in such a way that 2 were rubbing the tail belt. You can't see down there, once they're installed. I had to take one out to get a look at what was happening. One of the wires was already showing metal, and could've been a disaster. A little electric tape and re-routing fixed it right up.

Look out for a pain in the ol' arse trying to hold the servo mounting bracket in place without taking the tail off. But we got fancy and managed, albeit with four good hands working on it. This is the only problem I had with the E-SMart's design -- the servos are difficult to install, and there's just barely enough room for them. Mine actually touch.

Anyway, I never got a chance to fly. I did see it in action, setting the rudder expo down to about 40%, and the tail lock was rigid and quick. The 6100T/6100g combination totally rocks.

Jeff said the bird was hyper twitchy overall with no expo on the cyclic servos, so we set that up a bit. I didn't bother with the Fly-Bar weights either, but Jeff thought I should put them on for now, to back away from the TOO responsive controls on the Smarty.

Right now, I think my hobbywing 80 amp OPTO (what does OPTO mean, anyway?) crapped out. I'm gonna try a different ESC for trouble shooting purposes, and then maybe get the EXCEED RC 100amp, or possible the Castle Creations Phoenix ICE Lite 100a.

That's the update, my friends. So far so good. After adjusting the blade tracking with two turns on the plastic link set, she spun up smooth, with a whirring sound that was every bit as satisfying as the throaty gloat of a V8 Hemi.

My setup:

E-SMart Full metal edition
3 digital servos, metal gears, 995G. They're great, snappy, and tough, and the four were on sale as a package for under $35 from China.
EXCEED RC BEC 3amp
Hobbywing ESC, 80amp
Gyro, Logictech 6100T/6100G combo (highly recommend)
Delrin Main Gear from Microheli.com
Trex 600 Skids (orange color) and pipes (blue) Perfect color to play against the decals.
Carbon Fiber Vertical tail fin
Two Turnigy 3S1P 4000mAh, hooked up in Series
Mavrikk Carbon Fiber Main Rotor Blades
Carbon Fiber Tail Rotor Blades. Why not?

That's All, Folks!

Mick
PS Fly upside down, land right side up! flyaway

Last edited by WhiteKnite6 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: And another thing ...   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Last nite I had no problem finding these links on my first try, using startpage to search for the part number, which is:

EK5-0357

I ordered two sets from: ToyRC.com

However, even though the charge went through on my paypal account, ToyRC is now showing SOLD OUT.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Either the shop just sold me the last two, OR... more likely, they made a mistake, and I'll see a credit on my account. I'd keep you posted, but in this case it won't help, right?

Tell you what, though ... I just ordered the carbon fiber kit with motor and NO blades (which we don't use anyway, we all seem to get the CF main rotors), for $195!!!! WOW! that's a screaming good deal from BPHobbies (sorry, Marc!), and now I have a spare of everything at one tenth of what it would cost to buy them separately, I'm sure, even if they were available.

If you have a little cash on hand, give that some thought. They won't be available for that money forever. The guys at the flying field were "mouth's dropped open" when I told them how much I'd paid for my kit (metal edition), and one guy said he thought the CNC head assembly was worth more.

I think we may find ourselves in a lucky situation, as this price is, as far as I know, due to a TEMPORARY discontinuing of the model.

We'll see. Mean time, I've got two SMarties!

Sweet ....

Mick flyaway
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Twitchy   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 1:48 pm

Hey Mick , Glad you had LUCK on your side in your first flights!!!! I just have one thought for you.. I also found my E to be somewhat twitchy.. But it was recomended to me to lower SWASH MIX and keep EXPO very low.. This has worked very good for me.. Remember with expo at some point in your stick movement the servo has got to "RUSH" to catch up to where it should be if there was no expo.. So the point is with expo you will get a rush of movement at the point that you get past the expo you have in.. I hope this is clear.. I'm only refering tro swash expo!!!
Back to top Go down
WhiteKnite6

WhiteKnite6

PostSubject: FD   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Great advice.

I'll do that.

Thanks;

Mick
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 4:22 pm

I agree with FD. Reduce your swash mix a bit until you get the feel you want. I use very little expo on anything, and I can't even imagine 90% on the rudder.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn

PostSubject: To set up the tail just right   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:02 pm

I made a Lazy Susan for the helicopter.
I went to the hardware store and got a swivel bearing (to pivot a TV)
And mounted it on a thick piece of plywood and a round piece on the
Other side to mount the Heli, you will need a metal plate or a piece of
Wood to hold down the skids and keep the main rotor shaft in the
Center of the round disc.
With the head lock turn off you slide the tail servo in or out to get
The heli to track straight with the rotor turning.
After that is setup you can turn the head lock back on, this also works
For setting up your blade tracking.
The size of plywood will correspond to your biggest helicopter.
You can rev your heli up in idle up mode for blade & tail tracking.
3/4"X24"X36" bass plywood 12"dia X3/4" Bearing 12"dia
Total 20lbs I do not know how much the Big-E can lift use your best judgment.
flyaway

atomic atomic atomic atomic atomic atomic
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:11 pm

I attached a piece of wood about 3/4" x 2" x 8" along the 3'4" edge with wood glue and screws to the bottom of the rig so I could clamp the thing onto my workmate.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi, have you uesed a swivel bearing on it to set up the tail rotor. orange68
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Tail set up   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 5:58 pm

I have the Roto Pod I use for that!! Works great!!
Back to top Go down
Crash & Burn

Crash & Burn

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:04 pm

How much do you think the Big-E can lift in lbs orange68
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: ?????   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Close to that I think!!
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Hey Mick, Good to hear you are moving along....I was wondering though you said
your ESC is opto. Dont you have to turn that off to use a seperate BEC? The opto
means it will power your RX.

I am waiting to get parts from BP. I was able to order a new motor for $35. I hope
nothing happens to my order over the weekend. I also ordered the bearings to fix
the old one so I will have a spare. I also ordered 4 mainshafts because 1 out of
every 3 is usually perfect.

I dont use the weights on my flybar. You will be able to adjust your swash mix
to make the esmart fly very smooth.

I have found out my eye sight has changed and could be the reason I lost orientation
and crashed the esmart. I am having problems see'n my helis. I need to go and
get a new prescription........Other than that I should be fly'n the esmart soon and
next year hopefully.....

Also I have no guess on the weight the esmart can handle...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 13 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video
Page 13 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next