RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
4n6Days

4n6Days

Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter Empty
PostSubject: Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter   Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 2:07 pm

I've been practicing a lot in the sim since my heli is awaiting funding for parts :-(

I have a question. I've been practicing doing circuits. Right, left, figure eight, fast, slow - just trying to burn the control movements into my head, so it becomes automatic.

When turning, do you bank, then follow with the nose. Or, do you turn with the nose, then bank. Or, both at the same time?

Is this a matter of opinion/preference? Or is there a standard rule for this?
Back to top Go down
Addicted2Helis

Addicted2Helis

PostSubject: Re: Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter   Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 pm

Hey 4n6Days orange60

Everyone learns differently with turns. What some people were telling me to do didn't necessarily work with my style of flying. Find what's most comfortable for you and works the smoothest for you in the different types of turns you are trying.

For slow turns just doing basic circles I just use rudder inputs (left stick) and keep a little bit of forward in it to keep the heli moving. For figure 8's I do pretty much the same for basic circles and I make all my turns with the rudder input and just use the cyclic controls to stabilize and change speed.

With RC helis I really don't think there are many standard rules and everyone learns differently, and it's all about preference and what's comfortable to you.

What sim are you using? I spend a lot of time on Real Flight 4.5 for practicing 3D stuff and when it's too windy and/or raining for basic flight stuff too. Or like you. . . when I'm waiting on parts. If you don't have Real Flight, I highly suggest it because they handle a lot like the real thing and have great virtual flight instruction from pros like Brian Bremer, Pete Niotis and Todd Bennett. I picked one up on eBay for $100. It was well worth the money, because it helped me get back into basic flight after a long absence, and I'm now able to practice 3D without tearing up my heli.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
4n6Days

4n6Days

PostSubject: Re: Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter   Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 5:43 pm

I was using FMS until I discovered Helisim. It's A LOT more lifelike.
Back to top Go down
Addicted2Helis

Addicted2Helis

PostSubject: Re: Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter   Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 6:05 pm

I've used the FMS and it's good for the basic controls, but felt more like an arcade game. I've never used the helisim though. I saw your other post on it though. Sounds ok. Especially for free. LOL. If you have a friend or something that has the Real Flight though, definately test it out. I think you'll like it. It's pricey, but money well spent if you plan on staying in the hobby. Have Fun Flying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter   Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question about mechanics of turing a helicopter
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: Meet and Greet for new members :: General Chat - New Members Start Here-
Jump to: