RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Older Equipment...good or bad??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rennis

Older Equipment...good or bad?? Empty
PostSubject: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi guys,
I'm new to the hobby and have begun collecting parts and making some purchases...I've been offered a Futaba 7Cap/CHP tranmitter and some servos from a friend...he says he doesn't use it any more and that it's just taking up space...
I don't know how old it is, or the exact specs...

Is this equipment still of value??

Also, I have another friend who was cleaning out his basment and found a buunch of old RC equipment mostly plane stuff and a heli TX...
He says they're about 10-15 years old...

Is the technology outdated?? Is it worth buying??

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide...

Matt
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:51 pm

If you go on-line and check prices, old stuff isn't worth much any more. You could assemble a heli and have problems and with no experence, mixing in old stuff with new, you would have a hard time finding it. Hope this makes sense, navy1
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 6:59 pm

Matt,
I'll chime in on the 7CAP.
That radio is one heck of a great one to have. It's like a $350 dollar radio and is so easy to program that it's just unbelievable. I think it has something like a 10 model memory, may be lower. You can set the timer to start off of your throttle which is a big plus if your getting old and forget to push a button to start your timer like on the DX6I.
I have one and love it.
The 7CAP is both Acro and Heli so you can use it for both but it's default is Acro.
Bad part about it is it's 72mhz so you just have to watch the way you run your antenna.
I still have mine and not about to get rid of it. The recievers are also a bit on the expensive side as well and are also fairly large if you go with Futaba.
I just switched over to the DX6I and it is one of the biggist pain in the necks there is to program, but after getting used to it, things are comming pretty easy now.
The only reason I switched over is because of frequencey. With the DX6I, the transmitter is bound to the reciever so there is little chance of someone being on the same frequency and causing problems.
If your in need of a good computer radio and the price is right, I'd say go for it in a heartbeat. orange74
George
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 7:05 pm

I bow to George's experence on the Futaba. They do make a good product! orange78 navy1
Back to top Go down
Rennis

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 1:01 am

Awesome...thanks for the info... that helps a lot...I think the price will be right...he's like that...

I was researching trying to find info on the transmitter, and I found some info on kits, to convert to 2.4GHZ...

Has anyone done this??

Does it work as well as people are posting??

Thanks...

Matt
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 am

I can't help you with info on the conversion process as I've never done that. But I can tell you the differance in a 72Mhz and a 2.4G system is night and day, at least it was for me.

When I bought my Belt CP V1 it came with the 72Mhz stock Tx and I was plauged with bad glitching problems, so bad that it caused me a few crashes. When I built my ES 600 I bought a Spektrum DX6i for it and also put my belt CP on it and the differance was unbelievable. No more glitching. Problem solved.

I know my glitching problem was probably worse than normal as I hear of folks using the stock Tx and they have no problems, but in my case the switch to 2.4G was a good move.

Hope this helps'
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Rennis

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 06, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks Donnie D...I've made the decision that I want to run 2.4GHZ...I figure I'll need all the help I can get to fly right...

I really like the Futaba TX...I think I'm getting it tonight...I saw some websites, with information on the X8D assan...

http://www.assan.cn/main/product_24Ghz_all_en.html

I figure it's worth it, if it works...

Anyone know of any good RC shops in Buffalo NY??

Thanks,

Matt
Back to top Go down
Rennis

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 12:51 am

OK, so here's what I got...
Futaba 7CAP/7CHP PCM/PPM Selectable Transmitter
Futaba Receiver
Battery pack
Charger
An assortment of linkage and servo arms
5 Servos (Futaba)
Real Flight G4, with Interlink Controller

Includes all boxes, manuals, and discs...the TX still has the plastic coating over the LCD...

I paid $150CDN.
I think it was a great deal for me...
I'll now see about adding the Assan X8D unit, to add 2.4GHZ capabilities...

Anyone have any experience with the X8D??/ Is there something better to accomplish the same effect??
Thanks,

Matt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Older Equipment...good or bad??   Older Equipment...good or bad?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Older Equipment...good or bad??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Info, Video, Photos and Accesories :: RC Transmitters and Receivers-
Jump to: