RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Check Your Connections

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GW

GW

Check Your Connections Empty
PostSubject: Check Your Connections   Check Your Connections I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi All,
Wasn't sure where to put this as it pertains to everything with the electrical system.
I have just spent the past 2 weeks with motor/esc/bec problems on the 450.
Here is what the symptoms seemed to be.
The heli was working great and when I went to take and put another pack through it, I had nothing on the motor for sounds when the esc first comes up. I also had no throttle. So I thought esc or bec. I changed out the bec first and got nothing, so I switched out the esc with a new Scorpion esc.
Everything seemed fine until I started loosing power and the motor acted lik it was cutting in and out. The esc was hot so I thought it was the bec which on the Scorpion is a linear bec. Not something I would choose to use normally but I did. So, I replaced that with a Ubec that I had and the problem was still there.
I then opted to go with a new 35a esc with a built in switching bec. Great, because this is the best of both worlds.
First pack and the motor acted like it wasn't getting the power it needed but was hovering and 2 minutes in the motor started cutting in and out. I hadn't flown in a week and thought maybe the pack was low. The esc was very cool to the touch but the motor was warm. Put a second pack in and surprise,,,, No beeps,Nothing!!!!. The motor wouldn't start and it was oscillating back and forth when I tried to give it a little throttle.
I stopped and brought it back in the house and started checking things out.

The problem was that one of the motor wire connectors had a bad spot on the heat shrink and the metal bullet connector was very close to the frame so I can only assume it was shorting out. When I moved the connector the esc started acting normal again.
I put on another piece of shrink tubing over the worn area and just ran 3 packs without any problems.
Good news for me but I feel really stupid because I am an EE by trade and should no better. One of the basic things you always do before swapping out anything is to check for mechanical and electrical connections first and I didn't do it.

So, if any of you are having problems, do yourself a favor and check all your connections as well as solder joints first before you start replacing things. It will save you money and time in the long run.
Back to top Go down

Check Your Connections
Page 1 of 1