RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Finally took HB 2 outside

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eddie NYC

Finally took HB 2 outside Empty
PostSubject: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 pm

This was my first time taking it outside, I've only flown my Lama V4 outside until now. Thought it would be the same as flying the HB in my garage, but wow it was different. Had been getting good at tail-in hover in a tight area, but when I went outside I obviously gave it more room to move and found it much harder to try to keep it in a 'box' because once it started to sway/tilt, boy it would really move. Think I wasn't focusing on short, constant stick movements when I was outside like I did in the garage. Anyway 2H of the battery was better and more controlled than 1H of it.

Also, one time I crashed I noticed that the clear plastic strip on the blade grips (I think it was the blade grips, one side kept popping off of the rotor head every other crash) broke. It was flying, so do I need to change this whole assembly? What does this clear piece of plastic do. I think it looks like an over or something (not with me).

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I think that plastic thing is reinforcement. You should able to use hb without it.
BUT I am not sure. Better wait for other replies :prop:
Back to top Go down
jstarks

jstarks

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am

If you are talking about the plastic piece under the rotor head that the screws pass thru that holds the blades, then I think you have to have it on because without it the lift from the blades could cause the rotor head to flex upward and come off a lot easier. Just my opinion.

J.
Back to top Go down
Eddie NYC

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 am

jstarks wrote:
If you are talking about the plastic piece under the rotor head that the screws pass thru that holds the blades, then I think you have to have it on because without it the lift from the blades could cause the rotor head to flex upward and come off a lot easier. Just my opinion.

J.

Think you may be right, every time it tipped over or the blades it I had to pop one side of the blades back on. Didn't happen until I noticed the clear plastic strip was in two pieces.
Back to top Go down
pinguin6218

pinguin6218

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:12 am

I think you can remove that plastic think. That plastic doesn't do much to hold the blade holder from flexing. The hole where the screw goes, is to big, so it still give some room for the blade holder to flex.
Better made a stiffener out of ice cream stick. Put it on top of the blade holder. This way you have to use a longer screw and nut.
From my kid broken toy xylophone, I found that one of them has a perfect size and the distance for the screw is just perfect. It's metal and light.
Back to top Go down
Eddie NYC

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 11:27 pm

ok thanks. I have a spare blade grip/clear strip part. should I switch out the old one or ignore the clear strip being busted?

thanks!
Back to top Go down
jstarks

jstarks

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 am

pinguin6218 wrote:
I think you can remove that plastic think. That plastic doesn't do much to hold the blade holder from flexing. The hole where the screw goes, is to big, so it still give some room for the blade holder to flex.
Better made a stiffener out of ice cream stick. Put it on top of the blade holder. This way you have to use a longer screw and nut.
From my kid broken toy xylophone, I found that one of them has a perfect size and the distance for the screw is just perfect. It's metal and light.

I wasn't saying that the size of the hole in the clear plastic is what helped to prevent flex; it is the friction that is created between the plastic peice and the blade and between the plastic peice and the screw that helps to prevent flex in the rotor head. Unless you are running your blades totally loose; there is a friction joint created here.

Put the new clear plastic peice on and fly. If the rotor head keeps popping of as you described; check your center hub to make sure that one of the ears(that has the bearings on it) is not cracked and flexing. If everything looks good and you still have the problem, check your rotor head to see if the plastic that makes the seat for the bearings is not deformed.

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

J.
Back to top Go down
Eddie NYC

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 10:17 am

jstarks wrote:
pinguin6218 wrote:

I wasn't saying that the size of the hole in the clear plastic is what helped to prevent flex; it is the friction that is created between the plastic peice and the blade and between the plastic peice and the screw that helps to prevent flex in the rotor head. Unless you are running your blades totally loose; there is a friction joint created here.

Put the new clear plastic peice on and fly. If the rotor head keeps popping of as you described; check your center hub to make sure that one of the ears(that has the bearings on it) is not cracked and flexing. If everything looks good and you still have the problem, check your rotor head to see if the plastic that makes the seat for the bearings is not deformed.

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

J.

Will do, thanks. Such a fun heli and it takes a beating.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally took HB 2 outside   Finally took HB 2 outside I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally took HB 2 outside
Page 1 of 1