RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

First outdoor flight

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Wayne

First outdoor flight Empty
PostSubject: First outdoor flight   First outdoor flight I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Got home early tonight, it's 61 outside (a real heatwave), and light winds. I really have no place to fly inside at home, so thought I would give it a shot. Hovered another whole battery without crashing or doing any damage to the bird! Too bad I don't have my spare batteries yet. Checked tracking on them this morning, apparently they sat in the Hong Kong post office for 5 days before leaving for the US. Looks like they are back on track and I should have them by the end of the week--can't wait!

I think I'll go nuts with my new Super Blades EZ and two 1000mah batts + the stock 800! Only too bad I haven't forked out for a second charger yet angry019 6-8 hours to charge all three batteries on a single charger. Oh well, I'll probably take them into work and charge them at my desk while I work. I'm sure it won't be long until I break off another parts order. It's almost as fun to order parts as fly :crylaugh:
Back to top Go down
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: First outdoor flight   First outdoor flight I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Sho 'nuff, my Turnigy 1000's just arrived (first one already on the charger). With two of these bad boys, I should be able to fly as long as I want. I'm only worried about the weight at 94g vs stock I think is about 65g? Maybe I could cut the padding off the bigger packs to save a few g, then start stripping stuff off the heli, like the skids and run with just training gear directly attached?
Back to top Go down
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: First outdoor flight   First outdoor flight I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok, it's a terribly crappy picture, but the HBFPv2 does fly with the 1000mah 11.1v Turnigy 25C (94g) - they did not have the 20C 83g in stock when I bought mine or the 800mah 20C 72g either! All the good batts are always sold out angry019

I don't have anywhere indoors to fly at home as it was too windy outside, but I did a couple of short hops in the garage and only kissed the wall ever so slightly once (no damage). The bee seems to be a bit more touchy with the big 94g batt, but I think CG might be slightly forward now, whereas it is slightly aft with the stock batt even mounted as far forward as I can. Tomorrow I'll take her into the office where I can do some more work in the fullly equipped electronics lab and try mounting the new batt below the batt mount / between the skids. That should allow me to bring CG back level or slightly aft (where I'm used to flying her). Either way, it will bring the CG lower, which in theory at least, should bring more stability. The extra weight might be warping the stock blades more than usual too? I've got a couple of buddies working on getting me a titanium or carbon fiber stiffener punched (hopefully about the same time my super blades get here).

First outdoor flight Img00211
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First outdoor flight   First outdoor flight I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First outdoor flight
Page 1 of 1