RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rocketray

rocketray

Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter Empty
PostSubject: Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2009 4:00 pm

Hi Folks orange78

I've just(last night) soldered my first deans plugs, watched finless vid first rather than going in blind, got everything together, and comfidently started, did the ESC first, as if anything did go wrong it would not be dangerous. Well no problem, good joints(shiney not dull) so now the lipo, i was a bit aprehensive i must admit, tales of them blowing up abound, so i went carefully one lead at a time and heat shrinked it before starting the other lead, to be honest it was easy, the Bullet connectors for the motor were harder, So all in all i though very succesful.

Anyway i thought, now to bind the reciever, connected everthing together put bind plug on ,and after double checking everthing brought the two halves of the deans together the receiver started flashing but when i drove the deans all the way home it stopped(no power), so after fiddleing i find if i put a thick rubber band between the male prongs everthings fine, but if i drive it home without it cuts off power.

i can make a little plastic spacer about 1/16" thick and get over the problem that way but i like things right, and i'de like to know what is causing the problem. I've stripped back the shrink tube and cant find anything wrong with my soldering and theres no damage to the deans itself. Its not shorting out when the two halves come together its like theres a little sub micro switch inside, that switches off when the two halves get too close.

I'll have to fit a new deans but if i don't know whats causing it how do i know it wont happen again? orange78

Has anyone else had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it. orange67

Thanks in advance
Ray orange60
Back to top Go down
lowbudget

PostSubject: help- odd problem   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 1:51 pm

my guess 1 is a real deans and the other is a bootleg connector - a lot of people are going to the bullet type and getting away from the deans because of connection problems - see if the plastic on the connector is the same color - the bootleg and the real deans are not the same color flyaway = VIC
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:40 pm

I'd just get some actual deans connectors. Sounds like you got a cheapy one like lowbudget said. orange78
Back to top Go down
rocketray

rocketray

PostSubject: Re: Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 6:37 am

lowbudget wrote:
my guess 1 is a real deans and the other is a bootleg connector - a lot of people are going to the bullet type and getting away from the deans because of connection problems - see if the plastic on the connector is the same color - the bootleg and the real deans are not the same color flyaway = VIC

Hi, orange60
Thanks for reply, They were definately a pair they came in same bag, could be copies i spose but they were about $3 in your money £2 in real money and they looked well made, not obvious crap,

The bullet connectors idea seems to me to be a good way to go especially as i haven't got everything on deans like other people i know, just have to be careful so as not to get the polarity wrong by mistake Crazysmile

By the way, Cool site, very noob friendly orange74

Luv you all
Ray
Back to top Go down
TRISTAR7737

TRISTAR7737

PostSubject: Re: Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I would replace the connector as the others have said.

If you are curious, then:
check to make sure you don't have something in the female end that is forcing the male end to disconnect, maybe a defect in the plastic modling that is forcing the male end to loose contact. I'm assuming the heat shrink or rubber band will keep the connector from joining all the way. That's my best "guess".

If you end up using the Dean's then I'd suggest putting tape over the part where the leads for the wire and connector meet. On mine the heat shrink likes to pull away from where the wires attach, so I cover the red part of the connetor with tape so the wire leads don't get exposed. You can finnish it off with a zip tie if your paranoid and don't care about the weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter   Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help-Odd Problem with Deans connecter
Page 1 of 1