RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video

Go down 
+9
WhiteKnite6
P3tras
blazemob
flagmax
Fatdaddy
Donnie D
Nuttcaze
GW
suriano
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Shafts   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 10:05 pm

Yes I believe the EXI shaft is 8MM... I think your right I need to check it.. Just how are you doin it? What fixture are you using? I have a small lathe that I can chuck and turn if I need.. But I'm not sure I understand how your checking? I've got several dial gauge sets with diff. bases, so tool wise I'm good.
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:01 pm

I am using v-blocks with a dial indicator.

Since mine is torn down it is easy, but anyway I have just the T-section
of the hub mounted to my mainshaft everything else is removed.
I have just been rotating the shaft on the v-blocks and checking
the runout.

Mainshaft first with the hub removed to make sure its perfect. Then I put the indicator on the tip of the central hub just above the T section while its mounted to the mainshaft.
This is were all hell is breakin loose for me.

Also I would love to hear about the inside hole diameter of your central hub. You will know right away if you just measure that and compare to your mainshaft size. The Bad ones I have been getting were 1. .020 over 2. .019 over 3. 010" over the size of the mainshaft. George and marcs were like .0005 over.

Its basically like this photo only I put the hub on it and check.

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures054[/img]
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: OK   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 11:33 pm

OK got it!! Thanks. I'll check it all out, and check to see if the EXI head will work.. I should get the measurements tonight, but don't know if I'll get to the EXI head. I use a swash tool now but used the wire set up before my tool came. I also have used a similer kinda thing with a motorcycle rim myself. I like to use a grease pencil too.. I had a truing stand, for scoots that used a dial gauge, back in the day! Dude, back then tires weren't good enough to justiufy using that!!!
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 6:46 pm

Here is an update...Helidirect hooked me up with a FREE CNC Hurricane 550 head
assy. Took about 2 hours to complete. It didnt come with the linkages.

I couldnt use the swash so in the end I used the Esmart swashplate and
the Esmart linkages, everything else is Hurricane 550 from swash up.

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures060[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures061[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures062[/img]

The new head solved all the problems I was having with this heli. Newly installed is the
CC HV85 ESC, Hitec HS-635hb Digital servos, Turnigy 6s 5000 battery's, Align DS620
digital rudder servo, Trex CNC servo mount, Century Swift CNC fin mount and
trex extreme 3D vertical fin....

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures067[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures068[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures069[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures065[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures066[/img]

Video of the first flight wasnt so great so I am not sure if I will post it yet....

It finally flies and now I just need to dial it in for the real fun....

Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:26 pm

holy crap, I didn't know you could do that with the head assembly excited excited

And I'm getting ready to buy a Hurricane 550 this fri, w00t w00t

thanks you for the info and I'm glad you finally got it worked out
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Looks good   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 7:51 pm

Dude, the thing looks sweet now!!!! Glad you got it worked out!!! Good Luck!!!
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks guys!!
All that pain and suffering finally feels good not be stressed about it.

I hope that in the end we all learned something about the esmart and the
mis-machined parts. I think that the central hub from the hurricane 550
only could be fitted in place of the eskys central hub. The holes in the
blade grip had to be drilled out to except a larger screw for the blades.

This setup is half the weight of the stock esmart head. I think the stock
esmart head is overkill in size and weight.

We will see because I plan on ringing this sucker out pretty good. I think
it will hold up to the abuse...
Back to top Go down
blazemob

blazemob

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 8:54 pm

that canopy is sick dude sweet looking bird man orange74
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Great Head!!   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:15 pm

I think your right about the "E" head!!! You could beat the s%$t out of somebody with that thing!!! But I also hope the 550 head holds up for you!!! Keep a close eye and let us know!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 9:53 pm

This info would be invaluable if we ever get am "E-SmART Compatable Parts" thread started.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 pm

In the persuit of makeing the Esmart have a solid platform, I have been working
on a battery holder that is solid enough to trust. I am not sure why others can push
the battery so far back but in my case to get correct CG the battery has to stick
out the front a bit. Quite a bite really...

So far I like this one....It was like $4 for a 3ft piece of 1/8 x 3/4" aluminium flat
stock. The front 2 holes were drilled and counter drilled to except the screws that
hold the front of the skids on. The counter drilling means the screws dont stick
up. Then I drilled and countered 2 more holes towards the rear....

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures071[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures072[/img]

I didnt show the placement of the velcro but thats what holds the battery on. Velcro
on the bottom and I have a velcro strap that goes around the whole thing.

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures074[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures075[/img]

Weather has been rough so not much fly'n. Gives me time to fix some things
I dont like............
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 8:38 pm

I did something very similar to that, but mine is mounted to the top tray, and puts batt way out front, like you said. With mine mounted that way, the COG is perfect.

I'm gonna get a new camera shortly and I'll finally be able to post some pics.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I made a small mt. out of 1/16" sheet aluminum. It bolts onto the bottom frame and is just wide enough to accept the battery. CG is perfect and the canopy bottom fits it naturally. Almost like it was made for it. There ia also a small lip to help the battery from sliding forward. I also added a small extension for the esc/bec connection. That extension allows me to put the canopy on with the battery installed and then just plug in the connectors without ever having to remove the canopy. The battery is also held on with velcro and a velcro starp as well.
Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Mt1001
Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Mt1002
Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Mt1003
Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Mt1004
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 1:24 pm

GW,
Thats a nice looking battery mount! This is the stuff people should be posting.
The whole reason I started this thread was because I search for this kind of
stuff and have a hard time finding it. So I figured with this thread it will give
Ideas to those who want to do something with the Esmart but need some
direction.

Awesome!!! Donnie we need to see yours since it is on the top frame mount
I havnt seen one of those yet.....
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks S,
By the way, those landing gears are for the Trex 600. Much stiffer than the ones that come on the ES600. I picked them up at the local hobby shop. A word to anyone whishing to use the landing gear. The holes where the skid pipes go are much bigger than the ones on the ES600 so if you get the gear without the skid pipes, you will either have to wrap something around the skids from the ES600 if you plan on using them to make up for the difference in the diameter, or get the skid pipes for the Trex. Also there are two different landing gears available. The stock gear is about 9" from outside to outside while the 3D version is about 8". The 3D gear is very close in measurement to the stock ES600. Also the stock Trex gear DOSE NOT have a center rib which makes it not as stiff as the 3D gear. I picked up the 3D landing gear as well as the skid pipes. The only thing I had to do was to drill new holes to mount it and I also cut the skid pipes down by about 1& 1/2" to make them the same as the ES600.
The set screws that hold the skid pipes on the gear for the ES600 will work fine for the Trex gear.
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

GW,
Thats good to know info. I Just ordered the new upgraded trex 600ESP skid set.
I read that the new version is the toughest around so far. It has a large rib that runs
down the inside of the struts.

I was worried about the diameter of the skids so I bought the whole set.

You know where I am located people are afraid of Helis and therefore are not
big sellers. So the Hobby shops dont sell anything but trex 450 parts and the
little heli stuff for trainer copters.

I have to research everything and order it. Heck I cant even find someone to fly with.
Might be better for me and cheaper too because I like to show of sometimes....
Back to top Go down
GW

GW

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Well, I still have a tail problem. It holds fine, just vibrates.
I'm still running all the plastic stuff and nothing is binding. Tail blades are fine for both balance and weight. Spindle is fine as well. The one thing I didn't like is the tension on the belt. It just seemed to tight and there was no way to move the boom in. I took the tail boom assy. off today and openend up the slots by about 1/16" farther back in the front of the boom and now the tension seems correct. I think I'm also going to change over to the Trex 600 tail blade holder. Just a lot of slop in the stock tail blade assy. There was a mod I seen over on RCG that used the Trex 600 blade holder and basically all they did was drill the hole for the ball links all the way through and then cut where they mount on the arms to the correct length.

Funny thing is I never had this vibration before I took the head off and changed to new Esky tail blades. I also don't remember the belt being as tight as it was either but there was way more tension on it then what I would normally run. This vibration seems to be in the tail and not in the head. The head is smooth as can be and the main blades are balanced and tracking well.

I think while I'm at it, I'm also going to replace these cheap censored button head screws with some regular socket head cap screws. There's plenty of room for them and I have a Nutty Company right down the road from me so I can get the screws cheap.
I'll order the Trex 600 tail blade assy. tonight and should have it by Wensday. Helidirect is quick and only in Boston so it's usually only a couple of days away for parts.
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Mount???   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 6:08 pm

suriano, Got A question!! I see in your pix that you have your ESC and REC. mounted together on the same tray, As do I!! But I've read that you need to keep these two as far apart as you can. Have you noticed any glitches or anything odd??? I've kinda been holding off flying mine lately till I get a chance to relocate the ESC and now ,after seeing yours I wonder if I need to do that???
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 7:35 pm

Fatdaddy wrote:
suriano, Got A question!! I see in your pix that you have your ESC and REC. mounted together on the same tray, As do I!! But I've read that you need to keep these two as far apart as you can. Have you noticed any glitches or anything odd??? I've kinda been holding off flying mine lately till I get a chance to relocate the ESC and now ,after seeing yours I wonder if I need to do that???

No, I havnt noticed any glitching problems. On my jet I have the same AR6200 touching
the battery and the ESC (sandwiched) and havnt had any problems either. On my EXI450 it is 3/8" away.

Have you noticed any problems?
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 7:53 pm

New pictures with the super tuff trex 600ESP skids.

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures076[/img]

[img]Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 Helipictures077[/img]

First flight with Hurricane 550 head and trex600ESP landing gear. I havnt flown
this heli much at all so I was just feeling it out. It was really windy ofcoarse too.

Should be able to start getting it dialed in now and seeing what this sucker can
do.

Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 1:29 pm

Fatdaddy wrote:

its true that you shouldn't mount them anywhere near each other, but apart from that I will only fly with the antenna on the outside of the frame as I've already crashed my E-Smart before due to loss of signal between the Tx and Rx because of the size of the E-Smart, thats just me.
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 1:40 pm

I thought that the whole point of having 2.4ghz TX & RX is not to have glitches
and interferanc. I wouldnt do it with FM or AM.

Today was another glitch free flight with Esmart and I flew it so far away from
me I could hardly see it.

I trust the heli itself less than I do the TX and RX with 2.4ghz.

I have flown the EXI450 with the RX right next to my ESC the entire time I have
flown it with the only glitches being from me and the wrong inputs.

What do you do though? What works for me might not work for any of you....

But It has worked out fine for me and I wont change it. So in 1 or 2 years
I can say" its been like 2 years and I havnt had any problems" then maybe
someone would beleive me....What do you do.........
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: REC   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 3:26 pm

Yea I do trust what you say and I really don't want to chance things around.. I've got the second rec. outside underneith so I hope it good enough!! I'm thinkin of gettin rid of the Rec. battery as that (me) has caused a crash once from goinmg dead..
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 pm

Fatdaddy wrote:
Yea I do trust what you say and I really don't want to chance things around.. I've got the second rec. outside underneith so I hope it good enough!! I'm thinkin of gettin rid of the Rec. battery as that (me) has caused a crash once from goinmg dead..

I was thinking about using an RX battery once but couldnt see the benefits of lugging
around another battery when there is one on there anyway. My heli fly's like it
is over weight but it might be the blades. I need to get a good CF set before I do
anything else.

I put on new 82mm tailblades today and noticed after I did that I got really bad
vibrations back. That was the only thing I did. The difference was I tightened
them more than I did the previous set.

Before a would tighten the screws on the blade holder just to where it would snug
the slop from the blade but not put any pressure on them. In the end the blades were
basically loose.

This time I had a little bit of pressure on them and the Esmart dont like it.
Anybody have any experiences with the tightness of tailblades?

GW, I wonder if this is what happened to you.
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 am

Hey, I was just thinking about the RX next to the receiver issue.
You have heard the exspression (if it's not broken dont fix it).

If you havnt had glitch problems already you prob. wont in the future.

Thats the theory I am going by on this one.....
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Blades   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:33 am

For blades, check out the Mavrikk at HeliProz! I've used them and they are great blades.. The G5's are really nice as are all the others..
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 pm

You can also these tail blades: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5447&Product_Name=Carbon_Fiber_tail_blades_95mm_(6g) There is an review of person that installed these blades on e-smart. He says that they are great orange6

Last edited by P3tras on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Blades!!   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:02 pm

The blades I'm refering to are the main's!! I use plastic neon orange so I can see it better!! You know the old eyes need all the help I can give them!! They are KBD or something like that..
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: "E"   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Just flew the "E" with no problems as far as glitches go!! Now my piloting skills still need some work... But only time and batterys will help that!!! I still need to figure out the swash mix bit so I can slow it down a bit it still is very responcive, too much so for me!!! With my hands shaking that is transfered to the heli!!!LOL
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 2:30 pm

I also had a good flight with the Esmart today. I ran 2 batt. through it anyway.
I switched to 82mm tailblades from an outrage G5 550. I like them better than
the 95mm CF ones. Bonus they cost $3.40.

After I loosened up the tail blades from previous flight all the vibrations went
away, so my esmart likes loose tailblades.

As far as swash mix goes, decrease the % for your aile. and elev. maybe 45~50
for easy flight. I am running 65% for both and I am not running weights on my
flybar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video   Esmart build  (Working It Out) Pictures and video - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Esmart build (Working It Out) Pictures and video
Page 3 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next