RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

First Squadron Spin Up!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cgetman02

cgetman02

First Squadron Spin Up! Empty
PostSubject: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 5:16 am

Wow, that's some kind of head speed. Last night I spun her up to the point where she got a little lite on the skids, not close to putting any amount of pitch on the blades. The sound is going to take some getting used to.

The first time I brought up the speed she was rock steady for a few seconds then I heard a small pop sound and she started shaking fairly hard. Shut her down to take a look thinking, not even in the air yet and I've already torn something up! The head looked fine then I noticed a small tear in the covering on the end of one of the blades. Here is where I was glad I had purchased a spare Squadron kit. I mounted the blades from the spare parts kit and she was steady again! Hooray!

I'm thinking that there apears to be some kind of blade balancing that had been done to the blades at the factory, a small groove is visable throught the covering of the blade. When I spun the blades up it must have slung something out of the end of the blade and tore the material on the end of the blade.

Happy to get her steady again so fast, thinking about getting some carbon fiber blades. What carbon blades have you been using on your Squadrons? I think I'm going to place an order for one of the $40 kits and the parts to get my spare Squadron in the air. I want to get some carbon blades in on that order.

Sorry for the long post, guess I'm kind of excited!

Curt orange71

Last edited by cgetman02 on Tue May 12, 2009 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling!)
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Sweet, glad to here to you're having a good time, it'll take a LONG time to get used to the sound, but taking it outside and standing a little farther away will help with that.

Heres the blades I got from hobbypartz

Only $19 - http://www.hobbypartz.com/325-carbon-rotor-blade--use-for-t-rex450x-xl-.html

First Squadron Spin Up! SDC19104Large

First Squadron Spin Up! SDC19103Large
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Nice looking blades!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:39 pm

That website link looks a lot like the xheli site. I'll have to put together an order of parts and add on a couple pairs of the carbon blades. The failure of the stock blade has me a little concerned. I don't want parts flying off at that speed!

Thanks, Curt
orange71
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Its owned by the same company so it basically is the same site as xheli, but the prices vary per site. I'm sponsored by the company that owns xheli, hobbypartz, nitroplanes, nitrorcx, and a few others. Right now I'm suppose to promote hobbypartz website. Its all the same to me because they all have really low prices on some really cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: First EXI Squadron hovers today!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 11:36 pm

I took it to the air today. Gets the heart racing! Didn't fly too long, or high, just enough to tell that "I LOVE IT"! I'm charging my packs and heading out to a local park tomorrow. Wish me luck, I hope it doesn't get away from me.

I modified a training gear that I built for the HBFP and it is working great on the Squadron. The HBFP didn't have enough horse power to have the training gear work and they setup a bad vibration in the little bird. The Squadron had no trouble lifting, no vibration, and with the angled center block I made for the training gear it gives a little more room for error in those less than graceful landings.

Wish me luck and I'll give an update tomorrow.

Curt orange60
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 6:11 am

I wish you luck! smiley-signs003
Back to top Go down
TRISTAR7737

TRISTAR7737

PostSubject: Re: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey cgetman,

Good luck and happy landings, just remember it is ok to take it slow :)

Nice price on those blades to Nuttcaze
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Squadron Spin Up!   First Squadron Spin Up! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Squadron Spin Up!
Page 1 of 1