RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Rudder trim question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cgetman02

cgetman02

Rudder trim question Empty
PostSubject: Rudder trim question   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 9:54 am

With my EXI 450s which are both running EK2-0704B gyros, I'm having to adjust the rudder trim when switching between rate and HH mode on the gyros. For example I'll be hovering in rate mode and have the rudder trimmed for no rotation at hover, land, switch to HH mode, and then I'll have to put in around 6 clicks of rudder trim on the DX6i one way or the other to get the heli to hold in a hover with no rotation.

Is this something that I'm not setting up right with the tail/gyro setup? Maybe it is a function of running the inexpensive EK2-0704B gyros? I'm thinking that I should probably just choose one gyro mode and stick with it instead of trying to switch back and forth between modes. I haven't been as comfortable flying in HH mode up until lately, it seemed I didn't have as much control. I'm starting to fly more in HH mode and getting comfortable with how the heli reacts in HH.

Maybe I should just use HH mode, setup for no rotation at hover and not be concerned about flying in rate mode. I'm at the stage in my flying where I can hold a steady tail in hover and I'm working on my orientation training for other orientations. I'm looking forward to rolls, loops, flips, and inverted flying. When doing the mild 3D moves is it recomended to be in HH mode?

Sorry for all the questions but, it seems the more I figure out the more questions I have!

What are your thoughts on the mess above? orange78

Thanks, Curt
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Trim   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:18 pm

First , what Tx. you using? Second, you should NOT need to trim with the Tx... And yes you should really just be using HH mode.. But some pilots like the way the heli weathervanes in Rate mode.. Pleas explane to me how you set up your tail to start.
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Setup   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm using a DX6i and AR6100e receiver. I setup the tail servo at 90 deg. in rate mode for no rotation at hover. Now when I switch to HH I'm having to trim as I described above.

Hope this clarifys my setup. If you have any more questions or suggestions, I'm all ears!

Thanks for your interest! orange74
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Rudder trim question   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:48 pm

I always leave my helis in HH mode. I don't think I've ever used a HH gyro in rate mode actually. But thats just me orange72
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Rudder trim question   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 4:27 pm

Here is what I understand is the correct way to set up my Telebee.

With motor UNPLUGGED. Set your tx gyro setting for about 30 to 35 for rate mode, and for maybe 75 in HH. Then plug in heli and set tx in HH mode. Input right or left rudder with your rudder stick and release it slowly. Servo arm will stay on that side but will probably creep to the other side, if not give left rudder and release it slowly. Anyway, use your SUBtrim to stop the servo creep.

Now hook all up normal and bring heli to a hover in HH mode and adjust the gyro HH setting to get it the way you want it in HH mode. To stop any tail wagging. You want highest setting up to where tail wags, and then back off just a bit.

Now switch to rate mode and bring to a hover. Heli will probably yaw one way or the other. Adjust this by moving servo forward or back.

Now when you go back to HH mode make any adjustments with gyro setting or a bit of trim. Adjust when in rate mode by moving servo.

That is the way I finally got mine to work right for me.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Set up   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 5:06 pm

Ok are you using a Telbee?? If so DD may be right, but this is the way I set up what I call the TAIL,, Gyro settings come after.. I say do not use sub trim to set up the tail!! The creep will not affect anything during flight. Set rate mode at 50% bring to hover, look for drift. Adj. servo by moving forward or back to stop drift. Once you have stoped the drift you are now ready to set up the gyro! This can also be done without the gyro even being connected..Actually SHOULD be done without the gyro being connected.. As I said this step is to set-up the tail servo which must be done before any gyro set up. I do not have any experance with the TelBee gyro but this applys to all heli tail servo set-up! Then once your gyro is set up then switch to HH mode and leave it there!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rudder trim question   Rudder trim question I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rudder trim question
Page 1 of 1