RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

New motor and ESC on EXI 450

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
cgetman02

cgetman02

New motor and ESC on EXI 450 Empty
PostSubject: New motor and ESC on EXI 450   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 6:54 pm

After a particularly bad crash the motor fried on my 450. I did some shopping around for a replacement and since Xheli didn't have the Alpha 400 replacement that was in the heli in stock I decided to upgrade.

I settled on a Scorpion setup. 2221-8 motor and a Commander 60A ESC were what I ended up ordering from Espritmodel.com. The setup was being used by several people on the web so I thought I would give it a try. I got it installed today and have a couple of flights with it. Seems to be working very well. I'm still fine tuning as the ESC has an IR remote control with more settings available than my original build equipment ESC.

Espritmodel.com gave me quick service with great communication. I'm going to recomend them to you guys.

I'll post another update after I have some more batteries through the heli.

I also upgraded the $39.95 EXI heli with the CopterX CNC head and tail assemblies. There is much less freeplay (slop) in the CNC tail than with the original equipment tail.

Has anyone received the CNC head and tail that Xheli is offering for $39.95?

How about a review?

Curt orange6
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: PERFECT!!   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 7:30 pm

You chose the PERFECT Motor for the upgrade!!! I also believe you did very good with the ESC!!!! I have used a bunch of the Scorp's and I think there GREAT!!!! And I'm hopping to have a chance to try out a Commander soon!!! Good LUCK!!
Be careful to choose your pinnion!!! This motor has lots of power but must be mached properly or you will not see the potential of it!! You will also genarate lots and lots of heat!!!
Also make sure you get the Scorpion motor oil and USE IT!!!! as directed!!!
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Scorpion Combo   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Fatdaddy,

I'm pleased so far. I previously purchased the Scorpion motor bearing lube. Looks like it will be a challenge getting the lube on the motors bottom bearing. I'm still experimenting with the programming of the ESC. It will take a little experimenting but, that's part of what I enjoy about this hobby. Endless things to learn and skills to develop.

I ordered a 12T pinion for the motor. What size of pinion are you running? It seems so far I'm generating about the same amount of heat in the battery that I did running the original motor/esc setup. I have just only run 3 batteries through it so far, just hovering and checking the setup of all the new components. So far, so good.

More experimenting tomorrow if the weather cooperates. I'll post an update.

Curt orange74
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: exi   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 12:09 am

Hey 02, I use two 2221 series scorps. one I use in my outrage G5 is the 1630rpm/v
but that is also a 6S power system swinging 360 blades so that is not really a good comp. Really neither is the other, that is a 2221-10 that is 3000rpm/v and that is in my Screamer 480 and also swings long blades(350mm) but I run 4S and 3S packs with it.
With the 3S it spins like 2640 and with 4S about 3522(which is fitting with the name "Screamer") and is too fast!!! But keep in mind that this is at 100% throttle and I NEVER get even close to that, cause I still suck at flying!!!LOL So that is how I pick/set up a heli right now, figuring that I wont be past 75%-80% so it puts me at a good place.

What main gear teeth is the EXI?
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Thanks Again!   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 3:27 am

Fatdaddy,

I'll have to get the maingear teeth information for you. I'm running the 325 blades. I'm going to be adjusting the throttle curve so that switching from normal mode to idle up I don't get a big jump in rpm. I have my other EXI 450 programmed so that I get a smooth transition from normal to Idle up mode and it less stressful to throw the switch that way!

Later, Curt orange71
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Head Speed   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:22 am

OK, I think its a 140 but I'm not sure. And I assume your runnin 3S packs? How about your flying? How far along are you? Do you do 3D, do you just do forward flight and hoover? These things should decide what pinnion to use.. I personally think that with 325 blades and CNC main head and tail and if your just flyin around, meaning no 3D or inverted stuff you want your head speed around 2500-2750 @ 75%-85% throttle stick.
All that being true?? You will want a pinion @12 T. Figuring 85%Effencity, And I'm not sure what the Scorps are your head speed will be 2900 @ full throttle!!
However, If your into 3d things change and we can talk about that if we need to..!!

And I know what you mean about the jump when switching in and out of Idle up!!! I use a curve like some F3C guys do and I can takeoff and land with it in Idle up 1
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Headspeed   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 4:40 am

Thanks for the information! (I guess you must be another "Old Guy" that gets up to pee in the middle of the night and gets on the computer! LOL) You pretty much pegged where I'm at with my flying. I'm pretty confident hovering and trying to get myself confident enough to try some bolder flying. Next step is confident piros. I want to get to the point where I can flip, loop, roll, and hover inverted. (I hope I live long enough! LOL)

Yeah, I'm running 3S 2200mah packs.

Keep the advice coming!

Curt
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Yea, OLD   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Well I don't get up to pee, I just don't sleep!! My back and my meds see to that!!
I can give you advice on your set-up and builds. But you need Nutts for any flying advice..
One thing I love about the helis is that everything affects everythging else!! Like change the motor and it changes the tail rotor speed..!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New motor and ESC on EXI 450   New motor and ESC on EXI 450 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New motor and ESC on EXI 450
Page 1 of 1