RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Anyone ever used this ESC?

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Donnie D

Donnie D

Anyone ever used this ESC? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm

Just wondering if anyone has ever used this ESC, and if so how do you like it?

http://www.helidirect.com/hobbywing-pentium-brushless-esc-80ahv-version-p-4392.hdx

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: ESC   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Hey D, I don't use the HV but use their 80A on both "E"'s and they work great!! In fact I use HW on all the heli's and like them a lot..
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:45 pm

Yeah, I use the 80A OPTO on my E. I didn,t know if this would be better, but I've had no probs with mine. I think I'm gonna use all the same stuff I have on my E on my Bell 47, except for the motor. The guy over on Runryder whose thread I'm going by used a Hacker C50-16XL motor. You know anything about that motor?

http://www.aero-model.com/motordetails.aspx?series=C50&style=XL

How about take a look at it for me and let me know what you think.

You will probably have to click "select motor " and scroll down to the 16XL.

Thanks,
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Motor!!   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 11:08 pm

That is a hi dollar motor my friend!!!! It does look nice. I think to get the most out of it it needs HV like the 10Cell lipo mentioned... I've been lookin for a really hipo motor myself and have come accross these called NeuMotor, they are really powerful, but also really need big volts to work best..I think some of these like the one your lookin at are designed to ues the HV packs but can still be run on 6..
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 7:51 am

Yeah the guy in the Runryder thread used that motor with two 11.1v batts.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Motors   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 11:09 am

Yea I'm thinkin of using a NeuMotor on my ultra"E" build..I'm gonna use 12/s lipo's on that. But the HV stuff really increases the cost so it will take a little longer.. I think I'm gonna collect up the parts before I start the build and try to do a really good viideo of the build.. If my plan works out there will be a bunch of cool work to be done, machining, fabracating and trial and error..not too much error I hope..
But back to your motor, I've heard the Hacker's are really good motors, don't think I've ever read anything bad.. Don't really know too much bout the NeuMotor's except that are really hot!! Power wise.. Also keep in mind the Scorpians, I've had good luck with them cept the one bearing problem and that was really easy to rebuild... They are really good price wise too, compared to others in that size....
Anyway good luck with it I know you will make the right choice for you..!!
I'll be running down to the OBX next week and was thinkin of stoppin by to get a day of flying in!!!????
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 11:33 am

Allright, that would be great if you could stop by, I have about three pretty good places to fly. Just let me know your plans.

I don't know a toot about the electronic area of these helis and nothing about selecting a motor. Do you know how to look at the info on that Hacker motor and then go to your info you have on say the Scorpion motors and see if there is a Scorpion that would be comperable to the Hacker?

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: motors   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:46 pm

I'll give it a shot.. Your not lookin for hi performance right?? You just want toqure.. What head speed you gonna want? What pinnion do you have? How many cell you gonna run?? What main gear is it, how many teeth?
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: motor??   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:34 pm

WOW!!!! There are some motors out there..!! I do see some diff. but I need to know what I asked before!! Then I'll tell you what I like!!
Also what is the heli weight and blade size??
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:08 pm

Fatdaddy wrote:
I'll give it a shot.. Your not lookin for hi performance right?? You just want toqure.. What head speed you gonna want? What pinnion do you have? How many cell you gonna run?? What main gear is it, how many teeth?

Not lookin for performance, just looking for a motor that will make this baby fly, you know, nice and easy, the way I like to fly.

I don't know about the head speed. I'm kinda dumb about this part, but I'll try to find out.

I don't have a pinion yet, I was hoping you could help me with what I would need. I think the guy on Runryder used a 20 tooth pinion on the Hacker motor. I'll try to find out.

I'll be using a 6 cell if I go with the Hacker, but I really would like to use the same 5 cell batts I use on my E, except I think the next batts I buy of any size are gonna be 20c or 25c..

Main gear set up is weird. it has a main gear that the motor turns. That gear turns a shaft that has another pinion sized gear on the end of it that engages teeth on the inside of another main gear. That has planitary type teath on the top edge of it that turn a small planitary gear on the tail drive shaft that drives the tail rotor. Does any of that make any sense. I'll try to post a pic as soon as I get time. I have to work tomorrow, but I'll post one as soon as I can.

I can tell you this, the heli is just a bit larger than the E-Smart. It uses 600 mm main blades for about a 53" rotor span, and the tail rotor span is about 9 1/2". The Heli is about the same size as a TRex 600 I believe. The specs on the web site (below) say it weighs 7.2 lbs. loaded, whatever that means.

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/cn1074Bell47G/index.html?currentid=101

I don't see why an E-Smart stock motor wouldn't work if I knew what pinion to use and I need a way to mount whatever motor I use. That site earlier in the post for the hacker motors also has motor mounts that look like in the pictures they might be adjustable.

I hope this stuff makes a little sense to you.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: set-up   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:07 pm

I do!! You explained it pretty good!! I even looked at it on the web site breifly.. Did you get it from the Century site?? I will go thru it and give you my thoughts on all the gear!!! Should be pretty easy but will take a little time to go over it all and get it right.. With the money involved we don't want to get something wrong!!! Eatin now I'll get beck to you in bout 30
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:16 pm

I know I'm askin a lot, but if you could glance thru this thread when you get time, don't need to read the whole thing, it has a lot of the info you are looking for to help you help me.

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t136562p1/?highlight=bell+47g
The guy that built this thing is an artist.

Thanks a million,

Donnie D smiley-happy088

By the way, take your time. I know you're busy with your own stuff. I still have to buy my ESC and BEC but I gotta get some more $$$ first, (got my gyro, servos and AR6200 rec as well as a nav light set yesterday. Then I'll get the motor and some kind of mount last.
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Stuff   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Hold up on gettin anything more.. Unless you have your heart set on something.. There some combo's thatr will go good together and will be good dealstoo.... I should have something for you to look over tonight..!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:22 pm

OK, like I said, I've gotta get some more $$$ anyway, If you know what I mean.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Sorry!!   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:40 am

Sorry D!! I got involved in the HDX 500!! At least I got it finnished!! Ended up having to use 4S packs!!! That is what it was designed for so I guess it will be ok.. I really wanted to run6S with it!! But they just won't fit!!!! The canopy fits like censored anyway!!! Did a pinion change and gettin 2750 so it should fly just fine!!!! Only managed, so far to get +10/-10 I was lookin for a little more and then I could De-tune it which is what I try to do!! Anyway I will have some choices tomorrow for you..!!
Again Sorry!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 am

No probs FD, Like I said, gotta get some more dollarenees anyway.

Thanks,
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Scale site   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 12:26 pm

Yo D, I was lookin around and found this.. Got your bell!!! Also something bout converting to ELE. and using the clutch.. I think that might be a good idea even with ele.. It think having the clutch is the besdt soft start!!!

http://scalehelicopters.org/
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah FD, I think using the clutch and fan that came with the kit would be a good idea. Would help with giving a good soft start and the fan would maybe help cool the motor and maybe even the ESC. Problem is I don,t know what to do to mount that onto an electric motor shaft. I'm a woodworker and I know nothing about machine work at all, not to mention I don't have the tools. I think gas motors have threaded shafts and electrics have smooth shafts. Is that right? The gear (pinion) that is on the clutch that came with the kit, the gear that engages the lower main gear, has 26 teeth and measures outer tip of tooth to outer tip of tooth 27.5 mm, if that helps. May have to just go with a pinion streight to the main gear like a regular electric. I think that is what that fellow Bell Bloke did in the Runryder forum, If I understood what I was reading. What do you think?

Can you believe the size of those helicopters that guy in the link you gave me builds? Beautiful work. If I can even come close to doing mine that good, I'll be happy.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: SIZE does Matter!!   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:31 pm

Yea them things are huge!!!! About the shafts, I did some thinkin about that very thing. I think you need a custom shaft that fastens to the electric motor with set screws like the pinnion then the other end will need to be what ever your set up calls for!!! Should be very easy to make!!! I wish I could see the kit in person!!! I really do think the extra effort involved, to be able to use the clutch would be very well worth it!!
First thing we need to figure is the rpm you will need going into the clutch, say like if you were using nitro the engine RPM would be about 19000?? I need to look into the engi9ne speeds..
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 6:34 pm

One more thing FD, the hole in the clutch that the motor shaft would fit thru is 5 mm. The kit calls for a 50 size engine. I think you are on the right track. How about I box up the clutch fan assembly along with a copy of that part of the manuel and ship it to you so you can see it in person. Then if you come up with the motor I need, I'll get the motor and send it to you so you can look the whole set up over.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Trust ME????   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:21 pm

DUDE!!! You gonna trust ME with the parts with your BELL?????LOL>>>LOL
Really.. I think that is the best way for me to see it.. Then if we can come up with a plan and are able to use the clutch I will make up the shaft you might need... I'm deffenitly coming down your way in Nov.(first week I think it is) for our annual surf fishing tourny, I'll be judging with my daughter Alex this year, and could stop by on my way home to fit it up if we can get something together by then!! If not its just a short ride down to your place anyway and I'll stop by when we are ready..!!
So....If you want to send it up go right ahead and we'll kick its censored!!
PS.... You will need to pick a battery size(cell count) and stick to it, cause we will have a RPM range we will need to stick to..
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Motor   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Hey D, get this...If we simply replace the nitro motor with an ELE. and use the same set-up we might be lookin at a motor needing to spin around 2500RPM/KV!!!!! Assuming the .50 spins at 15,000RPM!!!!
And it will need to be around 3000 WATT!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Allright, that sounds great. I'll get the parts and the manuel pages together and get them off to you this week. I'll let you know when I get ready to ship it out. I use 5cell batts on my E-Smart, so it would be great to be able to use the same, but if it looks like 6 cell batts would be better, then I can also use those in my E too. Anyway, just walked in from church and have some company coming over. I'll get with you again in a while. I really appreciate this FD.

Donnie D smiley-happy088 ts
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Battery and motors   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:13 pm

How bout two 5S????? That really would be great for something this size!!!! Not that I've got any great expearence with this size thing but it just seems to me that 5 just isn't gonna make you happy with the result!! I think 6S should be the min. But I rewally think 10 would be killer... Almost all the heli's I've seen of this nature are using 10S..This is gonna be a pretty heavy bird and there is alot of drive train to turn!! This is just my thoughts! I really think 6 would be Min....
The only thing that would be diff., other than the batterys, would be the ESC which would need to be a HV and HobbyWing has a number of them and that is who I would go with regardless...
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Hey FD, I got no problem trusting you with my stuff.
http://runryder.com/rrpw.htm?p=4239407&i=1
http://runryder.com/helicopter/t136562p1/?highlight=bell+47g

Check that Runryder forumlink I posted. Down near the bottom there is a guy that used two 5 cell batts, but he was doing the Mash version, where you can put the batts on each side of the canopy on the skid top rails. I'm not doing the Mash version, so I'm gonna be limited to where I can stash the batt, but I do agree I probably need to go with the 6s. But I can use those with my E too.

Anyway, I'll get the stuff together and get it boxed and shipped to you this week.

Man I'm startin to get excited.

By the way, I've got my servos, gyro and AR 6200 reciever. I'll hold off on the ESC till you figure out about the motor. Bell Bloke over on Runryder used two 3s, 5000 mAh batts on his with a 75A ESC and that big Hacker motor, so I'm thinking if I use two 3S or one 6S, the Hobbywing 80A OPTO or the Hobby Wing 80A Pentium ESC will probably be OK. But I'll do what you think will be best.

In the meantime I'm gonna mount the servos and do whatever else I can with the build. Hope I'll be posting some more pics this week.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: BELL   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 12:47 am

DD, I'm gettin excited too and its not my heli!!!! I think we are on the right track too!! OK So I'll go at this using 6S for power... Weather its a 6S or 2 3S that doesn't matter for what I'm workin on so thats up to you!!! But I think we need at least 6!!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Build!!   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 1:01 am

DD, !!!!! From what I just read I think I already know what I'm thinkin would be great for you to use!!!! But I do need to check out the stuff!! Send the entire drive train so I can decide what will work best!!!! I'm really excited.... Even saw the one I like!!!! Its the commanchee!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 am

Allright!!! When you say Comanchee, is that the name of the motor?

Can I look at it on the internet. I'm like a kid waiting for Santa Clause.

I don't think I can send the entire drive train because most of it is allready installed in the copter, but I'll send what I can, and I'll send all of the manuel pages that deal with the drive train, ets. Of course also I'll send the entire clutch/fan assembly. When you get the stuff, tell me any measurements or whatever you need and I'll get them.

I've also gotta come up with a way to mount the motor. The website that has the Hacker motors also has a bunch of motor mounts that look like they are adjustable. At least that's what it looked like to me.
http://www.aero-model.com/motordetails.aspx?series=C50&style=XL

Anyway, I'm gonna try to get everything together today to ship.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: SORRY   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:30 am

Sorry Don, the commanchee is a heli!!! Its a scale that I really like and would love to build myself!!!
The motor I'm lookin at for you is a Scorpian, series 3024(I think) just not sure of the needed kv rating.. And the HobbyWing 100A Platinum.. Just need to go over the drive train and see what,how and when!!!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: Stuff...   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 11:34 am

Hey Don, why don't you EMAIL the manual pages to me and let me look them over and see if maybe I'll not need the rest!! Or fax them...Which ever you can do!! With the manual might be enough to tell me what I need to figure ouit.. The nice thing about the Hacker's is you can get them with a gear box if need be!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever used this ESC?   Anyone ever used this ESC? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever used this ESC?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Helicopters :: 6ch Collective Pitch Helicopters-
Jump to: