RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
chiefqm

chiefqm

Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) Empty
PostSubject: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Man I just burned thru two batteries with no vibration! woot Now that I am getting to stay in the air longer I am noticing more. I have to hold roughly 1/4 right stick to keep the tail in at a constant throttle. Moved the tx trim over to the right most of the way. Helped. So now do I try either the gain screw or the proportion screw on the rx so that I don't have to use so much tx trim? Also, is it normal that you lose altitude when you give other commands, so that you have to constantly adjust the throttle? I know this sounds clear as mud, but hope someone understands what I'm asking. wheelchair noob orange60 navy1
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: In the same boat it sounds like!   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 6:13 pm

chiefqm wrote:
Man I just burned thru two batteries with no vibration! woot Now that I am getting to stay in the air longer I am noticing more. I have to hold roughly 1/4 right stick to keep the tail in at a constant throttle. Moved the tx trim over to the right most of the way. Helped. So now do I try either the gain screw or the proportion screw on the rx so that I don't have to use so much tx trim? Also, is it normal that you lose altitude when you give other commands, so that you have to constantly adjust the throttle? I know this sounds clear as mud, but hope someone understands what I'm asking. wheelchair noob orange60 navy1

Not muddy at all. I basically asked the same question today in another thread. Sounds like you are experiencing the same type of behaviour I was asking about. Maybe it is how the HBFP works? Perhaps all of the throttle input is because there is a fixed pitch to the blades, and the only way to control lift is through headspeed. Then the torque of the throttle variations cause you to have to make other corrections to the bird.

I'm sure someone with answers witll chime in instead of just me with more questions!

Don't feel alone. orange6 Curt
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 8:58 pm

OK guys, here's how to adjust the tail. Lift off with your rudder trim at center. Notice which way the NOSE has a tendency to yaw. Let's say the nose wants to yaw left. In other words, looking at the heli from the tail toward the nose the nose yaws left-- or looking down on heli it yaws counterclockwise.
Land heli, UNPLUG batterie. Turn proportion pot to the right--clockwise just a very small amount. Plug in heli and bring to hover again. Repeat this process till you are satisfied. It may take two or three trys.
You are never going to get the HBFP perfect, because it has a motor driven tail. That is why you will see the tail twitch right or left when you change throttle speed, make cyclic changes etc.
Just be sure to unplug the batt before each proportion adjustment.
Yes it is normal to lose or even sometimes gain altitude when making cyclic and rudder inputs. In my opinion, that's one reason the HBFP is such a great trainer.
Chief, I assume removing the balls from the training gear helped quiet the vibrations.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 7:45 am

I haven't removed them yet. The parking lot was wet and I wanted as much ground clearance as I could get. Unfortunatly I bounced her pretty hard and popped the pinion end bearing right out of the tail motor can. orange4 Oh well I guess I've been lucky, because thats my first real damage. navy1
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 8:06 am

Oh well, tough luck there. I don't know if you've ever replaced a tail motor or not, but it's an easy fix. Takes maybe 10 minutes. Actually takes longer for the soldering iron to heat up than it does to change the motor. I just changed mine out last night.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Haven't changed one yet, but not to worried about the soldering part. I've pulled it out of its holder and popped the bushing back in and it runs. popped back out though. Super glued it and that lasted about one flight. Now I am trying epoxy. Might work. Nothing ventured nothing gained! I have ordered a new one, but ofcourse I won't get it until next week. The bummer is that I have to go out to Hawaii and visit my sister-in-law next week. Hey, maybe I can bring my helo and practice running into palm trees, might be fun after all! orange78 Just kidding. Lived out there about 6 years ago and loved it. Also went to high school there. Sorry getting off the thread. Any way I'm making progress and a lot of that's due to you guys--- thanks sign navy1
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Donnie D wrote:
Oh well, tough luck there. I don't know if you've ever replaced a tail motor or not, but it's an easy fix. Takes maybe 10 minutes. Actually takes longer for the soldering iron to heat up than it does to change the motor. I just changed mine out last night.

Donnie D smiley-happy088

Not anymore, lol. Blazemob bought this little battery operated soldering iron, uses 2 AA batteries and it heats up instantly, I was laughing at him till I used it, I was really surprised, but the batteries don't last very long.
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 2:07 pm

chiefqm wrote:

as the battery loses voltage the tail will begin to drift on its own, you can try using the trim adjustments on the Tx to compensate for this a little but it will always happen, yet another bad thing about tail motors.

the losing altitude thing is normal too.

I hope you have your next CP heli picked out because if you're at the hovering stage with the HBFP, its alomst time to move to a CP, it'll ba alot quicker responding but it'll actually be easier to fly because you won't have to chase the tail around, it'll stay right where you put it (provided the heli has a decent HH gyro) orange71
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:46 pm

Thanks for the note of confidence, But I think I'll stick with th HB for a while navy1
Back to top Go down
RTF-HELI

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 8:46 am

Practice makes perfect. When I started flying with the E-Sky HBFP, I swtiched to the Super Skids 300 landing gear system. Te heli flying was more stable. Plus the landing gear system doubles as a LIPO Battery holder which allows you to slide the LIPO Battery to find your CG a lot quicker. Needless to say, I used the super skids 300 landing gear system, the super skids titanium tail boom, super grips, and added the X-treme productions metal rotor head and the heli flys reall well for a 4-channel FP and it looks awesome.

Below is a pic - Click on image or goto my website for a video:

Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) Modify10

flyaway
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: That's a Beauty!   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 10:55 am

RTF-HELI,

That is a great looking bird. We have similar upgrades that we have done. I don't have the nice tailboom, still stock. I have added the CNC swashplate, it seemed to make a difference in control.

I haven't flown mine with the canopy on it yet! Since adding the Super Skids the canopy didn't seem to fit and I haven't bothered to modify the canopy yet. Did you have to make some cutouts on the canopy to make it fit with the Super Skids?

Curt orange78
Back to top Go down
RTF-HELI

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 1:30 pm

You have to modify the canopy a little bit. You will need a hole puncher and a little swiss knife. Goto: http://www.rtf-heli.com/DF4ANDESKYFPCanopyinstallation.html for a short tutorial on how to do this.

flyaway
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Thanks   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2009 1:54 pm

I'll head on over and check it out! I guess I should make it look more like a heli than an egg-beater, or (whop-ity-whop is what my wife calls it).

Thanks, Curt
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)   Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Moving on to finer things(trim adjustment)
Page 1 of 1