RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Question to those who use the FMS sim

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
coastal

coastal

Question to those who use the FMS sim Empty
PostSubject: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 4:44 pm

I understand that the sim is very different from the real thing.

I don't have a heli yet (waiting for the new HBFP) so I've been practicing with the FMS and HeliSimRC.

There is a big difference in how each model flys, some must be far more different than the real heli than others.

What sim model(s) is closest to the real HBFP heli and is there a step by step sort of video to show how and what we should be working on?

I can hover and move around, do some banked turns etc but I don't know if I'm doing it right or if there is a "right" way.
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 4:48 pm

do you have any additional models installed on FMS?

In the download I have on my website, there is a model called the "Amigo", thats a good one to practice with as its super touchy, that'll do the most to help prepare you for your first attempt at hovering when you get your heli.

http://www.myrcguides.com/FMS.html
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 4:53 pm

You should work on hovering.. and nothing else. Until you can hover tail in, right side in, left side in. After you can stay in aprox a 10' x 10' (estimated) square in those three positions, then start attempting nose in hovering and some light forward flight.

Also, try to glide through some "patterns" while hovering. Don't change the direction you're facing, and move your heli in an "M" shape in front of you. Then Hover in some figure 8s in front of you. Again, start with tail in, then move to sides, then eventually nose in.

these things may get really boring and tedious, but once you start flying around - You'll quickly realize how important this orientation training is.

Of course, this is just my take on the process. But I'm sure it will save you a fair amount of $$ in the end if you take the time to properly learn orientation of your heli before moving to other things. Everyone else, please feel free to annotate by adding/subtracting from what i've said!

g3nius out. atomic
Back to top Go down
coastal

coastal

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Nuttcaze wrote:
do you have any additional models installed on FMS?

In the download I have on my website, there is a model called the "Amigo", thats a good one to practice with as its super touchy, that'll do the most to help prepare you for your first attempt at hovering when you get your heli.

http://www.myrcguides.com/FMS.html

I have the downloads from your guides, I'will look for that model and work with it, thanks.
Back to top Go down
coastal

coastal

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:15 pm

g3nius wrote:
You should work on hovering.. and nothing else. Until you can hover tail in, right side in, left side in. After you can stay in aprox a 10' x 10' (estimated) square in those three positions, then start attempting nose in hovering and some light forward flight.

Also, try to glide through some "patterns" while hovering. Don't change the direction you're facing, and move your heli in an "M" shape in front of you. Then Hover in some figure 8s in front of you. Again, start with tail in, then move to sides, then eventually nose in.

these things may get really boring and tedious, but once you start flying around - You'll quickly realize how important this orientation training is.

Of course, this is just my take on the process. But I'm sure it will save you a fair amount of $$ in the end if you take the time to properly learn orientation of your heli before moving to other things. Everyone else, please feel free to annotate by adding/subtracting from what i've said!

g3nius out. atomic

I think I understand some of what you said however I have no idea what you mean by nose in, tail in etc.

I've looked for some basic info like that but haven't come up with anything yet. It could be there, I just have not found it yet.

One of the problems I can see with a sim is that it's easy to lose your orientation since you can't always see a reference point.
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:28 pm

hmmm.. what do you mean you have no idea? lol... You know what hovering is? Staying in one spot (essentially) at constant height.

Tail in = Tail is closest to you
Nose in = Nose is closest to you
Right side in = right side is closest to you
Left side in = Left side is closest to you

Hovering in these different orientations is a completely new experience. You should be comfortable HOVERING in any orientation before you really move on to much more. That way, no matter which way your heli is facing, you'll instinctively know how to recover should it start to move in one direction or the other.

After you can hover (again, staying in essentially the same place) in each orientation, you can move to simple figures in each orientation. So if you're doing an "M," it would look like the following:

Question to those who use the FMS sim M-tail11

See how the Arrow is always strait up and down? lets say the arrow head is the nose and the bottom is the tail - Do the figure you're practicing on without letting the helicopter yaw at all. Then, after you can easily move the bird around without any Yaw and under control. Turn right side in and learn all over again to do the shape in front of you:

Question to those who use the FMS sim Right-10

Again, keep the orientation without any YAW.

Hope this helps and you understand.

g3nius out. atomic

Last edited by g3nius on Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:30 pm

hmm.. apparently the forum doesn't accept blank spaces. I'll try to get a picture or something that shows you.
Back to top Go down
coastal

coastal

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:40 pm

g3nius wrote:
hmmm.. what do you mean you have no idea? lol... You know what hovering is? Staying in one spot (essentially) at constant height.

Tail in = Tail is closest to you
Nose in = Nose is closest to you
Right side in = right side is closest to you
Left side in = Left side is closest to you

Hovering in these different orientations is a completely new experience. You should be comfortable HOVERING in any orientation before you really move on to much more. That way, no matter which way your heli is facing, you'll instinctively know how to recover should it start to move in one direction or the other.

After you can hover (again, staying in essentially the same place) in each orientation, you can move to simple figures in each orientation. So if you're doing an "M," it would look like the following:

| |
| |
| | | |
| |
| | | |
| |
| | |

*YOU*

See how the Line is always strait up and down? lets say the top of the line is the nose and the bottom is the tail - Do the figure you're practicing on without letting the helicopter yaw at all. Then, after you can easily move the bird around without any Yaw and under control. Turn right side in and learn all over again to do the shape in front of you:

_ _
_ _
_ _ _ _
_ _
_ _ _ _
_ _
_ _ _

*YOU*

Again, keep the orientation without any YAW.

Hope this helps and you understand.

g3nius out. atomic

I got the hovering part I just didn't know what was meant by nose in tail in etc. That was a good explaintion, thank you.

That gives me a whole lot to practice on orange74

BTW, the M came our fine when I did a reply to your post.
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 5:47 pm

Previous post fixed!

Also, at Nuttcaze mentioned in another thread - Take your heli "for a walk". Hover it out in front of you and walk around with it (if you can find the room). Walk in circles, squares, around.. whatever. This will help with control in general.
Back to top Go down
coastal

coastal

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 pm

g3nius wrote:
Previous post fixed!

Also, at Nuttcaze mentioned in another thread - Take your heli "for a walk". Hover it out in front of you and walk around with it (if you can find the room). Walk in circles, squares, around.. whatever. This will help with control in general.

Thanks for doing that, that made it very clear.

I don't expect to get my HBFP 2 for about another month if I'm lucky. That will give me a lot of sim time so when I do get it I hopefully won't do too much damage to it the first day when I ty to take it for a walk. orange67
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2009 9:08 pm

coastal wrote:
g3nius wrote:
Previous post fixed!

Thanks for doing that, that made it very clear.

I don't expect to get my HBFP 2 for about another month if I'm lucky. That will give me a lot of sim time so when I do get it I hopefully won't do too much damage to it the first day when I ty to take it for a walk. orange67

The Sim helps a ton. Check out my youtube page: youtube.com/ggbarron. I've been flying for 2 weeks - TOTAL. I've never owned a fixed pitch or any other heli before the Wasp CCPM 6ch (which is f/s btw). And my 450 Copter X just came in yesterday afternoon!
Back to top Go down
coastal

coastal

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Very cool flying, that's for sure!

But I call not fair, you're gen Y'er, probable given a joystick before you could walk. laughing013

Really, you are very good and you must be out chasing small animals with your copter X right now. smiley-happy088

What sim do you use? Is that the Real Flight G4.5? I was looking at that, it's a little pricey but it could also save you money in the long run.
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:42 pm

coastal wrote:
Very cool flying, that's for sure!

But I call not fair, you're gen Y'er, probable given a joystick before you could walk. laughing013

Really, you are very good and you must be out chasing small animals with your copter X right now. smiley-happy088

What sim do you use? Is that the Real Flight G4.5? I was looking at that, it's a little pricey but it could also save you money in the long run.

I am indeed, and yes.. I was playing video games by age 5 (when I got my first Nintendo!! lol). Needless to say, at 24, all the way through college, I've gotten plenty of practice with controls and joysticks! lol

Yes, it is RealFlight 3.5.
Back to top Go down
g3nius

g3nius

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Oh. I live in Manhattan, no small animals here, my friend =( lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question to those who use the FMS sim   Question to those who use the FMS sim I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question to those who use the FMS sim
Page 1 of 1