RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Open Source heli?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack the R

Jack the R

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 10:51 pm

Anyone interested in designing an open source heli to be put on shapeways.com (a 3d print-on-demand service)?

I spotted a bunch of heli parts on there already - Link

(BTW does anyone know what heli these parts are for?)

I got to thinking about this because of the ridiculous pricing and packaging of HBFP ring-like pushrods. There's just no reason for those to be sold in 2 packs for 60 cents each. Or the rotor head - you're not likely to need the transparent plastic piece, the screws and the washers. Just the main head piece. It's so wasteful, not to mention unnecessarily expensive.

I can 3D model this stuff but I'm not sure about getting the sizes and tolerances right. I'd need help with that part.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:09 pm

Got a guy with rapid prototyping experience to help me with the HBFP parts. Those parts at least are on their way . . .
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Interesting idea. How are the tolorences from shapeways.com?
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Quote :

Executive summary:

* maintain a wall thickness of at least 1mm,
* accuracy is 0.1mm,
* always keep a clearance of 0.6mm
* and parts may have a deviation of 0.2mm.

Link

Is that sufficient?

Someone went to a great deal of effort to put heli parts on shapeways so I assumed it was possible.
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Quote :

Executive summary:

* maintain a wall thickness of at least 1mm,
* accuracy is 0.1mm,
* always keep a clearance of 0.6mm
* and parts may have a deviation of 0.2mm.

Link

Is that sufficient?

Someone went to a great deal of effort to put heli parts on shapeways so I assumed it was possible.

Correct me if I am wrong but .1 mill is .004". That would translate to a fair bit of slop in head parts. If you had access to a good precision lathe you could make bushes to suit each part. I just think if you was going to the trouble to have them made you may as well get them right. No point otherwise, may as well by origional parts

Last edited by Prel on Tue May 12, 2009 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:53 am

How much these parts will be stronger than the original parts? orange78
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Prel - I'm trying to track down the guy who made the heli parts that are on Shapeways. Maybe he'll be able to comment on the tolerances. What should the tolerances be?

edit - I found a thread on the Shapeways forum about the helicopter parts -

Link

Here's an image of tail rotor parts -

Link

Unfortunately they're quite rough looking. It looks like the technology needs to improve a bit :(

P3tras - No idea, but the original parts don't seem particularly strong. I'm a little worried that ring like o-rings made with Shapeways' material would be too strong and not break quickly enough, transferring damage down into more expensive parts. There's bound to be trial and error involved in getting it right - but surely there are people here who enjoy such things? I think it's seriously cool.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 4:09 pm

LInk

It's been done! There's video of the heli flying.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Open Source heli? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Open Source heli?   Open Source heli? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open Source heli?
Page 1 of 1