RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Longer servo arm ball screws?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cgetman02

cgetman02

Longer servo arm ball screws? Empty
PostSubject: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 6:32 am

Does anyone have a source for M2 X 10MM long screws to mount the balls to the servo arms? The screws that have come with my 450 kits so far are too short to put nuts and thread lock on the extended threads. I would really like to add the nuts so that I don't have to worry about the balls disengaging from the arms (a very bad thing in flight). From my measurements it seems that 10mm should be long enough for my arms without being too long. The screws have a special very small head so as not to interfere with the movement of the link on the ball, you know the ones.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Might Work?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 7:47 am

cgetman02 wrote:
Does anyone have a source for M2 X 10MM long screws to mount the balls to the servo arms? The screws that have come with my 450 kits so far are too short to put nuts and thread lock on the extended threads. I would really like to add the nuts so that I don't have to worry about the balls disengaging from the arms (a very bad thing in flight). From my measurements it seems that 10mm should be long enough for my arms without being too long. The screws have a special very small head so as not to interfere with the movement of the link on the ball, you know the ones.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking these might work.

http://www.helidirect.com/steel-ball-with-2x10-screw-10pcs-for-all-helis-p-11317.hdx
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Just thought I would say that on my 450 I dont have nuts on the servo arm balls.
They have never even come loose even after 2 crashes.........
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Seems like a place to strenghten   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

suriano wrote:
Just thought I would say that on my 450 I dont have nuts on the servo arm balls.
They have never even come loose even after 2 crashes.........

I have had to tighten a couple on my 450's and I don't like the way you can't really tighten the screws as tight as I would like due to the softness of the servo arms. I figure it couldn't hurt to capture them with a nut and forget about them. Lord knows we have enough other potential failure points.

Curt orange80
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 2:14 pm

True that it could depend on the stiffness of the servo arm. But in all fairness if its
that soft(servo arm) might not want to use it anyway.

Also Use CA on the threads when you screw it in, then you shouldnt have problems.
Just my 2 cents anyway......

Besides, the nut can come loose also and you would have to check for that.
Back to top Go down
Beachcomber

PostSubject: Re: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 pm

cg,
I like it. I'm with you as far as wanting a nut on the end of that screw; don't want to take any chances. The force the link places on the horn ball is a twisting motion, more likely to unscrew than others, like frame screws.
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Found a source   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:45 am

Beachcomber wrote:
cg,
I like it. I'm with you as far as wanting a nut on the end of that screw; don't want to take any chances. The force the link places on the horn ball is a twisting motion, more likely to unscrew than others, like frame screws.

:bigthumb:

Beach & EOE, Found a source for the servo arm balls and 10mm screws:

http://www.ronlund.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=heli&Product_Code=BALLS

I also ordered some 2mm nuts along with the balls & screws. Should be here the end of next week with the holiday weekend, I'll give an update when they are installed.

I Also ordered the posts that attach to my calipers that the ball links slip over to adjust the link lengths. I am not sure if when holding the link ends in position and turning the link rod if the assembly will shorten and lengthen, like a turnbuckle. I'll be able to check this when I receive my order. Anyone have an answer to this question?

Put some Deans connectors on the order to round out the miniorder. Got good service from Ron's they are closed today, Friday before holiday. They shipped my order out, that I placed yesterday, before the end of the day yesterday.

Ron's has a great site. I would encourage you guys to check it out if you haven't.

I also ordered, from Heliproz.com, another Logitech 2100T/servo combination to replace my other POS EK2-0704B gyro. Great price on the combo! Thanks again FD! I'm done with the Esky gyros! orange83

Beach, I'll be at the field around 8:30, if the weather cooperates.

Later Guys orange71
Back to top Go down
Beachcomber

PostSubject: Re: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Great work. I don't see how you find this stuff, but glad you do.
Back to top Go down
cgetman02

cgetman02

PostSubject: Servo arm balls and 10mm screw report   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 9:18 pm

The balls and 10mm screws have worked out well. I could have gotten away with 8mm long screws as I had to trim the 10's down a little bit after installation. After putting some threadlock on the screws and attaching a 2mm nut I don't think I will have to be concerned about the balls coming unthreaded from the arms. One less thing!

:bigthumb:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longer servo arm ball screws?   Longer servo arm ball screws? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longer servo arm ball screws?
Page 1 of 1