RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Lipo's, chargers, and noobs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

Lipo's, chargers, and noobs Empty
PostSubject: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:06 am

First, let me say thanks to Nuttcaze! I have been studying his videos, posts enough to feel comfortable to drop a c-note on my first heli. That dude is the "Obi-One" of R/C Heli's. Second, I am a noob, so please be gentle...

So I un-box my HBFP today. I want to get my battery charged ASAP and at least watch the servos move. I pull out a...

• E-Sky 7.4 800mAh 2-cell Li-Po (#EK1-0181)
    E-Sky Balance Charger (#EK2-0851)
    A black cord with an input on one end, and red/black two alligator clips on the oppisite end

Lipo's, chargers, and noobs E_sky11

Uhmmmm, OK. Where do I plug this thing in? How do I charge the battery? X-Heli fails to mention in their add that I need a power source for my charger. What a drag! Any suggestions on up-grading to some type of AC charger instead of investing in a AC to DC converter to make this thing work? I guess it's sim-time for me until I get this figured out (that's not a bad thing either).
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 7:38 am

The alligator clips are for attaching to a 12v power source, like a car battery. I made up a cigarette lighter plug I can clip one of my chargers to so I can charge batts up during the day when I'm in my truck. Otherwise you will need to get an AC adapter .

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 9:56 am

take all the packing foam out of the box and check the AC/DC converter in not underneath. Esky have a great trick they play on us where they put parts in places you can't find them.
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 11:22 am

Yep it was two weeks before I accidently turned the box upside down and the foam bottom piece fell out, TA-DA there was the charger. I wasn't sweating it because I had the charger from my "Hunter". (same batt system). navy1
Back to top Go down
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 1:34 pm

Whoa! This forum is paying off in spaids! I pulled the foam out of the box and guess what was tucked underneath the foam...the AC/DC adapter. Now why wouldnt they just place that in plain site during the packing process? Or at least instert a small paper notice stating that adapter was hidden underneath.

Regardless, I'm charging as we speak. Thanks guys! orange74
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 2:59 pm

cool, navy1
Back to top Go down
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:27 pm

So how do I discharge this battery?
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 5:47 pm

West Coast Mark wrote:
So how do I discharge this battery?

By flying orange78 orange72
Back to top Go down
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm

I figured that was coming, but Nuttcraze mentioned something about discharing on a charger. So do I just fly until the battery is dead? It's my maiden flight, so I'm not exactly sure how long the battery will last.
Back to top Go down
chiefqm

chiefqm

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 7:22 pm

DON'T RUN THE BATTERY ALL THE WAY DOWN!! the lipos are not like the old nicads. If you run it dead the battery is toast. When the helo won't lift it's time to recharge. Make sure you let the battery cool down before recharging. Also make sure that you keep an eye on it and don't leave it on more than a couple hours, they have been known to catch fire. This is one of those things where you want to be sure and read the manual. There are a couple of interesting you tube vids about them. Good luck navy1
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm

Get one of these bud. Nuttcaze has a great vid on how to use it and it will make a hge differance to your batteries. If your gunna go further with this hobby then eventually you will need a decent charger.

http://www.xheli.com/thac6bachwac.html
Back to top Go down
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks for the valuable advice, fellas. I did some "touch and go" today until the motor could no longer send enough power to give lift. I assume that is a safe point to D/C the battery let it cool before it's next recharge.
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 1:21 am

I myself wouldn't let it get to a point where you can't get lift anymore.

Work out how long it takes to get to that point and take a minute or to off of it. I get introuble all the time for stealing the kicthen timer and not putting it back.

link to some really good lipo info
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187
Back to top Go down
West Coast Mark

West Coast Mark

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 4:03 pm

I had my first idiot moment with this battery...I connected to the charger, took a double shot of codine for the cough I'm fighting, turned on the boob tube, and passed out last night. Awoke this morning to find battery still on charger. No auto shut-off, but the full charge light was on.

Not sure if I ruined the battery or not, I'll find out today. Todays lesson, dont CUI. Charge under the influence. orange54
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:22 pm

If you are talking about a lipo batt using the stock Esky charger, you should be fine. I've forgotten mine and left it charging over night a few times with no problem. It is however very dangerous as you never know what could happen, but it is easy to do.
\
Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lipo's, chargers, and noobs   Lipo's, chargers, and noobs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lipo's, chargers, and noobs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
RC Guides Forums :: RC Info, Video, Photos and Accesories :: RC Batteries and Chargers-
Jump to: