RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

results of honey bee FP upgrades

Go down 
+8
coptercrazy
jerrydgaines
Mozzy
cgetman02
Brutus5
Jack the R
blazemob
Ron9711
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mozzy

Mozzy

results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 1:07 am

Okay, here is a PDF on how and why to add fuses to your HBFP.
Back to top Go down
coptercrazy

coptercrazy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 3:30 am

Jack the R wrote:
I've been wondering about direct drive vs double motor tail, but I hadn't considered the noise issue. The stock tail has more buzz than I like, would hate to have more of it.

Is everyone having trouble with the Xtreme 380?

Since my 4-in-1 is out of action, I'm thinking of switching to another transmitter with independent esc's and a heading hold gyro. Not gonna do it for a while, but it's on my mind. Maybe I should do a brushless main motor while I'm at it.

coptercrazy - Why not try adding another heat sink? Maybe you can get 2 more on.

Thanks Jack, that's a great idea, two heat sinks. Sometimes we over think a problem to the point of not seeing the obvious. Your the man! orange74

As far as switching Tx and independent esc and gyro,well, I have some experience with going that way. I think you can keep the same Tx. At first I was just going to get a brushless motor and esc, but what about the tail motor, the easy way out of that is belt drive and a gyro. Now you need a frame for that belt drive so I got one of those. Next you need to plug all that stuff in so I got a Rx with a crystal to match the one in my original Tx. By the time your done you've built a whole new heli. Don't get me wrong it was a great experience and I got a real nice little 4ch heli. Just be prepared to get in a little deep. headbeat

This is my build.
results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 100_0198results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 100_0218
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 4:26 pm

coptercrazy wrote:

orange74

As far as switching Tx and independent esc and gyro,well, I have some experience with going that way. I think you can keep the same Tx. At first I was just going to get a brushless motor and esc, but what about the tail motor, the easy way out of that is belt drive and a gyro. Now you need a frame for that belt drive so I got one of those. Next you need to plug all that stuff in so I got a Rx with a crystal to match the one in my original Tx. By the time your done you've built a whole new heli. Don't get me wrong it was a great experience and I got a real nice little 4ch heli. Just be prepared to get in a little deep. headbeat

This is my build.
results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 100_0198results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 100_0218

I haven't made my mind up on what to do with the Honey Bee yet. Even if I were to do the simple thing and replace the 4-in-1, it would still have the erratic tail rotor firing off at random and messing up my flight. Someone said it could be solved with a "noise filter," but I have yet to find instructions for how to set this up or where to get the parts. http://www.miracle-mart.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_204_152&products_id=3037

Custom building one like yours is probably the correct route and I wish I'd known to do it from the beginning instead of wasting so much money on what I've got.

Did you use the Guru-Z belt drive frame? Your canopy looks different.

FWIW, what do you think about moving the damaged 4-in-1 over to a plane? It's still got throttle to the tail, and the other controls work.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 6:31 pm

Well I think I've ordered a new 4-in-1 for HBFP but I'm not sure.

I ordered this 6 channel Esky receiver from USHobbySupply.com. Upon further reflection, it doesn't look like a 4-in-1. I haven't seen an Esky receiver that isn't a 4-in-1, but that doesn't mean they don't make them. USHobbySupply has it listed as an HBFP part though, and I'm sure a gyro-less reciever wouldn't work with HBFP.
Back to top Go down
Ryan S

Ryan S

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Jack the R wrote:
Well I think I've ordered a new 4-in-1 for HBFP but I'm not sure.

I ordered this 6 channel Esky receiver from USHobbySupply.com. Upon further reflection, it doesn't look like a 4-in-1. I haven't seen an Esky receiver that isn't a 4-in-1, but that doesn't mean they don't make them. USHobbySupply has it listed as an HBFP part though, and I'm sure a gyro-less reciever wouldn't work with HBFP.
No ESC, gyro, etc...

Nice thought of the 4-in-1 being just $15, though.
Back to top Go down
coptercrazy

coptercrazy

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 2:30 am

Yes Jack the frame is a Guru-Z from Heli-fever that's also where I buy my blades, 9 degree woodies for $6.88 a pair.

I have to agree with Ryan on the 4in1 even though the add states that it's for the FP. The cheapest price I have seen on a 4in1 is $33.00 at Miracle-Mart and for price it's hard to catch them in stock. orange67
As far as using your old 4in1 on a plane, I wouldn't have a clue. My knowledge of rc planes is zip zero nada. Sorry can't help you there my friend orange44
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 20, 2009 1:56 pm

I wrote U.S. Hobby Supply about the receiver on their site. They said it was receiver only, gave me no problems with the refund, and have removed the receiver from the HBFP section of their site. They got it done really quick, I'm impressed.

Even a regular 6 channel receiver for $15 is awesome.

I'm thinking of building one of these Hobby Lobby Yak-55 foamies with an Esky receiver and a cheap Chinese motor/esc. Keep the price down low enough I can afford to lose it in a tree.

edit . . .

FWIW I tried running the HBFP main rotor off the jack for the tail rotor - it worked! The head speed was low, but that may be the mixing function working. Or it may not be possible to get sufficient power for the main motor through that jack. It will give a throttle signal though - perhaps with a seperate ESC the damaged 4-in-1 could be useable in another aircraft.
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 3:25 am

Hi again Jack!

Most likely it's the internal esc. that's trashed. You can split the 4in1, and use just the Rx part of it. (no esc or gyro then) but in fact it is an 6ch. rx. You have to split it because the pins for ch3 and 4 is on the other side (on the esc, gyro side) take a look at this, some pic. there that expl. what I'll mean.
So with a separate esc, you can use it as a rx for enything you like smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 3:13 pm

That's excellent Brutus5! But I am not able to get any of the full size images. I can host them if serveimage isn't working for you.

One thing I don't understand from your write-up - what did you do for a gyro?

I've been thinking about the possibility of using a heading hold gyro on the HBFP - do you think it can be done with the burned out 4-in-1? If I can use this receiver I've got an extra $33 burning a hole in my pocket orange58

What are you using for your main motor and main motor esc?
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: Burned out 4in1   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Hi Jack!

I will look into the image prob, so I'll come back to you if I can't fix it. But, thanks for the offer. orange6

You loose the ESC and the Gyro, but you will have a plain 6ch RX.

I have gone brushless on both the mainmotor, and the tailmotor.
And I'm using this Mainmotor, and this ESC for the mainmotor. And this is my Tailmotor, and my ESC for the tailmotor.

I'll think you can use the burned out 4in1, you just get the signal from ch3 to controll the ESC for the mainmotor. And use the rest as is. I'll get you the pictures for the converion (the big ones smiley-happy088 )
The only thing you'll need is a mainmotor, and a ESC for it. I can't garanti that the gyro and the ESC for the tail is working, but you told that you've tested it on the main.
So I'll think that will work
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 4:39 am

Then there are two gyros in the 4-in-1? One for the main motor and one for the tail? Don't you need a main motor gyro?

What are you using for a tail rotor? How did you mount the brushless motor?

Can your set up use the 11.1 volt battery?
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 pm

No! orange44 There is only one gyro in 4in1 controlling tail. But there are two ESC's. One is controlling main motor, other tail motor orange74
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 10:30 pm

O.K., I think I understand what's going on now. I mis-parsed Brutus5's instructions about setting aside a gyro. Apparently you put it back in later.

So I put on a set of super skids today. How is the canopy supposed to be held down in front? I thought the super skids would use a rod and grommet arrangement like in back, but it seems as if they provide no means to hold the canopy down at all. With the canopy in the stock position, it does wedge over the new battery holder, but I wouldn't put it past the Honey Bee to be able to vibrate the canopy loose. And if I were to move the canopy forward as in the instructions, I'm not sure it would even wedge over the battery holder.

What do you guys think about the EDF tail mod? I've been looking at the GWS EDF-40. I'd rather not have the brushed motor, and it seems hard to mount. Would be great for flying in grass and eliminating tail strikes.
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 pm

P3tras wrote:
No! orange44 There is only one gyro in 4in1 controlling tail. But there are two ESC's. One is controlling main motor, other tail motor orange74

Thats right, there is one Gyro, and two Esc's. Most likely is the Esc for the tail, and also the gyro ok. So what you need is an Esc, and a main motor.

O.K., I think I understand what's going on now. I mis-parsed Brutus5's instructions about setting aside a gyro. Apparently you put it back in later.
Yes, what i ment was that you don't do anything with it. I will get the pic. working soon.
And, I have sent them to you as an Email smiley-happy057

My camera has died, so I cant get you any pictures of my HBFP. (I have ordered a new camera, I hope I'll get it before the weekend) I've used the super skids myself, and the canopy fits very well.

The EDF is very noisy, and I don't like it. But you might like this.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 am

No email yet . . .

results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 A1413824-106-New%20FP%20006

Isn't that the EDF?

I've watched a couple vids and the EDF did sound annoying. But tail strikes are also annoying, and finding a clear spot in the grass for the tail rotor is also annoying . . .

What I'd really like is a big aerobatic coaxial orange74 Nice low pitch main rotor sound and no tail strikes!
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Still no email . . .

edit - - -

Ooh, I think I like this best of all for the tail -

results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 Night1115s

It looks like they used a tubing bender on a Super Boom 305. I've got one for car fuel lines, I suppose that'd work fine. So this, with a brushless direct drive tail ought to do the job nicely.

Brutus5, gimme some more info on your DD brushless tail. What prop, how'd you mount the prop, how'd you mount the motor to the shaft?
Back to top Go down
scaldarera

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 12:02 pm

I have read where putting the extreme 380 motro can burn up the tail motor and other electronics. What has been your experience with your extreme motor? Thnaks,
Sam
Back to top Go down
Jack the R

Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:24 pm

No more than it costs, why not go with a brushless main motor?

Brutus5 wrote:

I have gone brushless on both the mainmotor, and the tailmotor.
And I'm using this Mainmotor, and this ESC for the mainmotor. And this is my Tailmotor, and my ESC for the tailmotor.

I'm not sure about Brutus5's tail motor, but the main motor at least can handle the 11.1 volt LiPo. I like the idea of more weight and more power in HBFP. It's too small to be great in the wind but maybe it can handle a sneeze with the right upgrades.
Back to top Go down
Brutus5

Brutus5

PostSubject: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2009 9:41 pm

Real nice tail on that one orange74

The HB is to light to hoover in windy cond. but it can fly (in light wind that is)
I haven't got the new camera yet, so I haven't any pictures of the tail orange83
But, I'll get them as soon as can...
Back to top Go down
pinguin6218

pinguin6218

PostSubject: Standard Blade Grip   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 am

Just an idea, how about putting a disc ontop of the blade grip, so the disc will cover the small ball. During crash, the disc (hopefully) will protect the small ball from breaking. I don't have the picture, hopefully you can imagine and know what i mean
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: results of honey bee FP upgrades   results of honey bee FP  upgrades - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

results of honey bee FP upgrades
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2