RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Century Bell 47 scale build

Go down 
+7
coptercrazy
chiefqm
Nuttcaze
Fatdaddy
suriano
P3tras
Donnie D
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Donnie D

Donnie D

Century Bell 47 scale build Empty
PostSubject: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:00 pm

excited Well guys, I did it. Ordered a Century Bell 47 scale kit yesterday. Got a phone call about an hour ago from Heli-World saying it would ship today. orange71

So I will soon be starting my first scale build (and only my third build of any kind) orange43 and I'm a nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, but excited as well. It will probably take quite awhile because I'm going into it blind, so I'll have to be carefull and take it slow. Hopefully you guys can still help me thru it.

I'm gonna try to get this pic posting thing down this week so i can post pics of the build along the way, starting with what's in the box. happyyes

Wish me luck.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:07 pm

GOOD LUCK!!! smiley-signs003 Will you do it on nitro engine? Have you decided about the motor? Or is the engine in the kit?
P.S. Don't forget photos, because this thread is worthless without any smiley-signs154
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:19 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to post pics now using Blazemobs post.

I want to convert it to electric, but I'm not sure yet, need to get a look at the kit first to be sure.

Don't really want to go the glo fuel route because of the mess, extra equipment and all that smoke. Makes it look like the heli need a ring job.

Can't wait to get started. rofl When someone says the word helicopter, the Bell 47 is what pops into my head. Guess I'm showing my age. laughing013

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 5:47 pm

And what size is that heli? 600 as e-smart? You can also use http://imageshack.us/ to upload pictures. Just choose a file, click on the resize box and choose 640x480. Then click upload. After uploading you should get links orange45
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 8:32 pm

Good luck DD,
I agree I would go electric also.......

I use photobucket like Nuttcaze does.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Yeah, I,m trying to use it now, with not much sucess, But I'll figure it out.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm

Think I have the picture thing figured out.

By the way, this is the kit:

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/helikits/cn1074Bell47G/index.html?currentid=101

Purty ain't it? excited

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: ALL RIGHT!!   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am

WoooHooo Way to go DD!!!! Any thing you need let me know!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:32 am

I expect you'll be hearing from me soon, FD. Maybe I'll have it ready by next years Funfly.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: All Good   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 11:34 am

No problem bud!! Let me know what I can do!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Got my Fed Ex tracking number a few minutes ago. Package is on the way! orange58 orange71 smiley-happy057 excited

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Good website for model building   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2009 11:35 am

http://www.micromark.com/

This looks like a good website for tools, accesseries, etc for model /helicopter building. Tons of neat stuff. Mostly geared toward model train/railroading, but may be useful to helicopter builds as well, especially scale.

I was looking a way to make my own custom decals and found it here.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 12:38 am

Fed EX tried to deliver my Bell 47 kit today, but nobody was here to sign for the package. That means it should arrive tomorrow, and I plan to be here waiting for it.

Look for pictures of the build process, starting with "what's in the box." :clap: :bigthumb:

Can't wait to get started. :giggle:

Donnie D
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: woooohoooo!!!!!   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:00 am

OH BABY!!!! Can I come over and watch you open the box!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:00 am

Wish you could, That would be great, but I'm gonna try to cover the whole build process as best I can with pictures. Maybe I can figure out how to post video.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: watching!!   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Well Dude, I have to make a trip to Buxton very soon to pick up a fishing rod so maybe I'll stop by and we can crash our Smarties together then!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 3:44 pm

mailboxhappy IT"S HERE!!! Gotta go open this BIIIIIG box. excited excited

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: OH YEA!!!!   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 4:24 pm

You are the MAN!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Ok, here is the begining of my Century Bell 47 build.

These first pics are to show you the size and scale of the kit and to show what's in the box.
this is obviously the box the kit came in.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-001F

Here are all the parts on my bench except for the manuels. I had allready taken those into the house to look them over.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-007F

Canopy frame, windscreen bubble, tail truss, cabin door windows and a 12" rule to give you a sense of scale.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-006F

Main frame and gear assy, 12" ruler for scale, main blades, linkages, tail rotor drive rod, etc.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-005F

12" ruler for scale, Horiz stabilizer, fuel tanks, skid tires, decals, door frames. hinge and bracket sheet, etc.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-003F

Miscalanious small parts, bolts, screws, links, etc.
Century Bell 47 scale build MVC-002F

First of all, I'm sorry about the size of the pics. I'm still learning about this stuff, and I will try to get better. Maybe someone can chime in with tips on how to make them a bit bigger. I'm trying to use Photo Bucket.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with this kit. I really haven't had time to look it oiver much, but the quality of everything is just top notch. It is clearly a quality product.

The thing however that has impressed me the most is the quality of the manuels. There are two of them. One for the 50 size mechanics assy which covers everything from basic assembly to setting the theottle and pitch curves. The other manuel is for the scale body assembly. Both are very comprehensive. But best of all, they both are written in good ole plain, easily understandable ENGLISH. No Chinglish.

I plan to build the kit pretty much by the books except for the electric conversion work,. Then when the heli is finished and test flown, I will concentrate on redoing some of the mechanics to clear out the cockpit so I can scale it with seats, instrument console, etc.

About 25 years ago I did a short stint as a wildlife officer (game warden) with the North Carolina Wildlife Rescources Commission, and we used aircraft sometimes in our enforcement details. I am planning to do this heli as what I would percieve it would have looked like if they had used a Bell 47 as an enforcement aircraft.

This is gonna be quite a challenging build for me as it is my first scale build and only my third build period. It will take me a few days to go thru the manuels before I actually get started, but I'll post pics along the way, hopefully better ones. Hopefully this thread will turn out good and be helpfull to other members and maybe stir up some interest in scale helis.

I'll also be asking you folks for advice from time to time, so be there for me.

Wish me luck.

Donnie D smiley-happy088

By the way, if it is possable for someone else to make these pics larger, I wish you would.

Last edited by Donnie D on Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:27 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Sweet! Good luck on this heli. DD........
I will watch your post, this is interesting to me. I want to
go scale also...
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 7:01 pm

Also, can you post bigger pictures. I mean yeah my moniter is 52" but I still
cant see the details.....
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: WOOHOO   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 7:23 pm

Way to go DD!!!! I can't wait to see it done!!!!! If it would be ok with you!! I would like to stop by when you are gonna have first flight!!!! And give you any needed moral support... And I'd love to vid it for you!!!! Think about it, I can make it a side trip to my moms on the Outter Banks!!
I know its gonna be a short while but I'm there!!!! I'll bring the beer and cigars!!!
Back to top Go down
Fatdaddy

Fatdaddy

PostSubject: And mine   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 pm

AND MAYBe I'll have my Thunder Tiger Raptor 90SE!!!! I just gotta have one!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:20 pm

Fatdaddy wrote:
Well Dude, I have to make a trip to Buxton very soon to pick up a fishing rod so maybe I'll stop by and we can crash our Smarties together then!!!

You posted this just about the time the Fed Ex man showed up, and I got so excited about gettin that box open that I forgot to respond.

Fatdaddy, I would love for you to stop by ANYTIME. Please don't wait till the Bell is finished. Who knows how long that will be. I've got 3 really freat places to fly (none are nearly as nice as your place, but they're pretty good). Please stop by ANY time you're are gonna be in the area. I'm only a couple hours from Kitty Hawk, Kill Devel Hill area. excited

But let's talk about something besides balls. laughing013 laughing013

I'll PM you with some info in a few minutes.

Donnie D smiley-happy088

Suriano, Yeah, I'm trying to get the pics larger, but I'm not having much luck. I resized some the other night of my E-Smart, and made them too small, like the ones I just posted for this and I can't figure out how to mak them bigger. I would like them to fit the screen so they are plenty big, but you won't have to scroll to view them. Im using Photo Bucket.

Someone help me please. I want you all to be able to see this beautiful heli kit going together.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Made last pic larger   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Maybe these will be easier to see. Same pics from earlier post, only larger. I didn't retype the text over but it is in the earlier post. I'm slowly figuring this stuff out.

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc001f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc002f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc006f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc005f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc003f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc007f
By d148521 at 2009-08-27

More detail in future pics. I'm still learning.
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: First progress   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 12:18 am

Partially assembled canopy shown with remaining parts to be added and old E-Smart canopy for scale. Steps involved is cutting out windscreen bubble from blank and fitting and glueing to canopy frame, adding mount and rubber grommets. There are some lights that will cover the grommets and the doors will be installed, which looks to be a rarher involved process, Lots of very small screws and such.
By the way, the Bell 47 canopy as resting on it's rear bulkhead area. The floor of the canopy is next to the E-Smart canopy.
Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc001fc
By d148521 at 2009-08-29

Main frame with main shaft installed. 12" ruler for scale.
Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc004fb
By d148521 at 2009-08-29

Tail rotor assembly
Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc005fj
By d148521 at 2009-08-29

Partially assembled rotorhead assembly.
Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc006f
By d148521 at 2009-08-29
Century Bell 47 scale build Mvc007f
By d148521 at 2009-08-29

Also for a point of reference for scale, the main blade size for this heli is main blade width is 60mm and length is 600mm.

More later

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 8:06 am

Looks nice! smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 7:46 pm

wow that things gonna be big, you need to take more pics for us, lol :grinn:
Back to top Go down
suriano

suriano

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm

Keep it coming!! The new pics are way better. :prop:
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks, I'm getting a little bit better with the pics. I'm working on the canopy now , getting it assembled, but no scale detail work yet. I'll wait till the heli is completely built and tested, then I'll do my scale detailing and try to figure a way to clear the cockpit so I can scale it out. Having a lot of fun. I'm really impressed with the kit. I believe it is a USA based company. I know the manuels are much easier to understand than the Esky ones. More pics in a day or two. :prop: :clap:

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Century Bell 47 scale build   Century Bell 47 scale build I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Century Bell 47 scale build
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next