RC Guides Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for all things Radio Controlled

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Come sign up on the new forum ----- www.myrcguide.com

Puffy Lipo

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Donnie D

Donnie D

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 9:54 pm

I just noticed this afternoon when I was getting ready to fly my Belt CP, that one of my 11.1v lipos is puffed out on one side. What does this mean? What is usually the cause? I went ahead and flew with it anyway, and flew for about seven minutes. Had plenty of power all the way thru the flight. I have it on charge now, keeping a close eye on it. So far no probs.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Personally, That battery would be gone. Lipos are not something to be messed with. As soon as they show any type of defect I would be getting rid of it.

Have a read of the link and look through some of the vids there.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209187
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:23 pm

One 11.1v puffy lipo----History!

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:29 pm

that link is an eye opener lol. I like the vid where they puncture the lipo
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:02 am

Yeah, I had seen the vid before. I saw another one on how to (maybe) repair a damaged lipo. To make a long story short, after doing what it showed on the vid, I put the batt into a bowl and set it on the concrete floor of my workshop. Went back to check on it about a half hour later and smelled something strange when I opened the door. Felt the batt and noticed it was getting very warm, so I cut the plugs off, one wire at the time,mind you(no need to waste them) and now it is in the same bowl out in the middle of the back yard in the rain.

Do you know what may have caused the problem? I never run them more than 8 minuted a flight. Usually limit my flights to only about 6 to 7 minutes. My voltage is around 3.8v per cell after flying that long.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
Prel

Prel

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:23 am

impact is the easiest way to puff a lipo I think. Thats how I did my first one. landing gear fell off, hit the ground and the lipo flipped out and hit the rotors. Sent it flying lol.
Needless to say thet was the end of it lol.
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Maybe the lipo was old? Every lipo dies on its own way rip
Back to top Go down
lowbudget

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: puffy lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:31 pm

i have a 60 watt 12 volt lite i use to drain a bad lipo - 1 straight pin the battery plug hot side and 1 pin stuck in the balance plug ground flyaway VIC
Back to top Go down
Nuttcaze
Admin
Nuttcaze

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 2:37 pm

I've found the easiest way for myself to puff a lipo is overdischarge it very badly or crash Crazysmile
Back to top Go down
lowbudget

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: puff lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 3:30 pm

that is what i do to a ( PUFFY LIPO ) to drain it for diaposial flyaway VIC
Back to top Go down
Donnie D

Donnie D

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 6:52 pm

I saw a video that says to put a bad lipo into a jar of very salty water for a couple of days and that will safely discharge it.

Donnie D smiley-happy088
Back to top Go down
P3tras

P3tras

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:15 am

Battery disposal guide that was written on mystery battery packaging:
1. Discharge battery to 2.5V per cell or less
2. Fill a bucket with enough water to submerge the battery pack completely
3. Add salt to the water until no more salt will dissolve; the water is now saturated with salt
4. Place the battery pack in the bucked and leave it submerged in the salt water solution for 24 hours
5. Remove the battery pack from the salt water and test the voltage
6. If the voltage does not reach 0.0V, re-submerge and re-test until the voltage reach 0.0V
7. Once the battery pack has been discharged to 0.0V, it is safe to dispose
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Puffy Lipo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Puffy Lipo   Puffy Lipo I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puffy Lipo
Page 1 of 1